What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone frequent aquarium forums?

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
I'm looking for some good aquarium forums, wikis and similar online references. I'm trying to find some biological controls for mosquitos and other aquatic pests for the water garden I'm working on. This wouldn't be too hard ordinarily, but the garden will be in Panama, so I would like to use local species if possible and I need to find Central American aquarium retailers.
So far most of the aquarium sites I've come across look commercial and none too reliable. I came across one interesting article on creating a Central American river biome themed aquarium, but when I looked into the fish mentioned most of what I found was just phylogenic info in zoological databases. Any tips would be great - I would like to spare myself the trouble of posting for weeks or months on some of these aquarium forums to see if their posters are legit.
Thanks,
~Joe

Wiki's, eh? Did ya try this one?

Here a few that I used to visit when I had my fish tanks.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/

http://www.aquaria.info/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=index

Not sure how they are anymore since I've not used them since 2005. Every couple of years I switch between keeping lizards and fish. Currently I have had lizards since 2005.

Here's a quick pic I found of my 40 gallon breeder tank after I had done a major thinning out job of the plants.

post-22-1100820349.jpg

Thanks guys. Clue, I was looking on that one but it seemed hard to search and not super complete to me. But then, I'm looking for some oddball fish and searching by strange criteria. Elgecko, thanks for the forum links - I registered on the first two but they don't seem quite as active as we are here... I guess I'm spoiled. :) I didn't have time to dig into your link, Scot, but it intrigued me. It looked like it hadn't been updated in a while, but what I've found with those types of sites is that when they have their own domain, typically the fact that they're still there attests to them being worth the price of keeping the host online.
Thanks again for the help,
~Joe

Try ultimatebettas.com they are pretty active and can answer many of your needs as they have planted tank and other nice things also the members are very friendly and helpful like TF hope this helps.

Elgecko, thanks for the forum links - I registered on the first two but they don't seem quite as active as we are here... I guess I'm spoiled. :)
Joe, I'm curious what you were looking at in the planted tank forum (Steve's 1st link). When I looked they had ~550 people in the forums and most of the topics were being updated constantly - aka: it seemed like a lot more activity than here.....:scratch:

Aquaria Central also is updated basically by the minute. I was going to suggest it but they beat me to it. :)

I use monsterfishkeepers.

I used to be on the AFM Magazine forum, that's where my swords monkier was born. I was into Amazon sword plants at the time I registered. I don't even know if that forum is still online but there was a bunch of good folks who helped me be successful at setting up and keeping the Japanese style planted aquariums I was in love with at the time and filled my condo with.

On occasion I want to go back and setup a manicured planted tank again but I haven't done so yet. I did even buy a TOMs hang on mini-canister filter a year ago or so that would work great for a densely planted - sparsely inhabited 40 gallon breeder.

Joe, I'm curious what you were looking at in the planted tank forum (Steve's 1st link). When I looked they had ~550 people in the forums and most of the topics were being updated constantly - aka: it seemed like a lot more activity than here.....:scratch:

I guess I was referring to the very low movement I was observing in that particular part of the forum. I noticed their new posts lists was very busy later - apparently I was lost in the crowd instead.
Nice catch xvart - that was definitely one of the threads I was thinking about.
News on the garden project; condo is leaky, there's some question as to whether the indoor garden should be planted wet at all. My solution? Drip irrigate with dehumidifier output.
~Joe

Back