What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Betta Breeding '10

All right, the spawn is scheduled for the end of this week, early next week just because it fits into the time schedule, also will be adding live plants, and getting bs eggs, and other food cultures. 3 weeks of conditioning, spoiled bettas haha

Heres an update for pics and feeding schedule

All right they have been conditioning for a little over 2 weeks now, and they will be getting a little more for about a week, in which I will be getting live plants and other microfoods. So by next week i should be able to get them going.

Does anyone have BS eggs? Anyone have an idea of how big a stock of eggs i should have?

My feeding chart...

1st-1,5 week : microworms, walterworms, banana worms, 1-3 maximum(overall total) squirts of egg yolk treatment, bbs near the middle to end
1,5wee - 2,5 week : use daphnia, bbs
2,5 week - 4 week: use daphnia, bbs
4 weeks to maturity - larger live frozen? foods, bloodworms, mosquito larva, daphina, adult brine shrimp etc

Here they are with their older comparison:

MALE
Old:
Picture044.jpg

Current: Right after a big bloodworm feast
Picture094.jpg

Picture095.jpg

Picture096.jpg

Picture097.jpg

Picture098.jpg

Picture099.jpg

Picture101.jpg

Picture102.jpg

FEMALE
Old:
Picture051.jpg

Current:
Picture087.jpg

Picture089.jpg

Those fish look ready to spawn. When the females develop vertical stripes, they are ready. As for brine shrimp eggs, one vial should be plenty for 50 or so fry until they can be weaned to larger foods. You should be able to purchase them in pet stores. However, if you plan to raise fish regularly, it is much cheaper to purchase in large containers (8 oz and 16 oz) online from Brine Shrimp Direct. Plants and snails are your friends in the rearing tank. They will reduce the chances of polluting your water from overfeeding. Best of luck with the spawn.

Thank you very much, yup I just have to get a few more things for the spawn i hope to pick up the live plants tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'm going to add snails though. It might be after the auction because I'm waiting for my microworm, walter, and banana worm cultures too. I have heard that it is a lot cheaper to buy the brine shrimp eggs in bulk, you get more for your buck. I'll try to get some and I'll keep everyone updated on their spawn

have to work on my photography, the male is bright red when he flares with the blue wash on the top and back of his body, didn't seem to come out that great this time around

They look like a couple teenagers!

The petstores near me don't sell any brine shrimp eggs so i'm going to have to get a couple bottles offline

brine shrimp are overrated anyways. try rearing daphnia and scud cultures.

O'well i got lots of live foods coming mainly for early stages. Brine shrimp eggs, microworms, walter worms, banana worms, i also do plan to get a daphnia culture too. as soon as i get them i can breed the bettas. Another update, i have moved the female into what was my propagation tank, but i cleaned it and now its her own 20g long tank with DIY sponge filter. She seems to enjoy in a lot more than her little large kritter keeper

Sorry I've been having slow delays, I will be getting my microworm, walter worm and banana worms cultures hopefully by the end of this week, i do have brine shrimp eggs (i read on a website i could use any kind of salt in the water? anyone try this?) So at the moment they are being spoiled, i moved the female to half a 20 gallon tank and i also got some java moss, water wisteria and anacharis. Hopefully end of this week early next week will be the spawn. so many delays driving me crazy haha, but at least i know they are definitely conditioned to their full potential. (over 2 week condition period, think they are on 3 or 4)

If i get any from the spawn would anyone be interested in taking some? i will offer them just for shipping. I plan to give them off to petshop and friends. So if i get some good ones out of this spawn I'll post them up, of course ill probably keep a few too :) IF things do progress well, i may try to get in some plakats and halfmoons, i also like the dragons.

awesome but rememer keep me updated lol

here's another one :)

got my worm cultures today, plan to let them get established, clean the tanks tomorrow, move the female into the males tank in a plastic container, just to encourage him to build a nest. then maybe babies early next week

yay congrats! show pics when the male builds the bubble nest

Cool. I recommend placing a hold, like a Styrofoam cup cut in half, for the bubble nest.

i second limeslide's idea, it helps keep the nest intact and prevents drafts from destroying the nest. better yet, use floating plants or leaves as they will provide a site for infusora--a baby betta's first food.

i got 2 mature sponge filters i plan to put in there on low, and some anacharis, java moss, and water wisteria, hopefully to provide an alternative early food source. there is also a little algae in the breeding tank, if needed i could add more, the females tank is lit with lights and has quite a bit, today or tomorrow is clean up day for the tanks.

I did use the cup with success last time in building the nest, so i think that would be a good idea, I'll have to look around for one :)

more updates? lol BTW my betta fish always build a bubble nest soon ill do what ur doing!

Awesome, I'm having a little difficulty with him building the nest, he isn't really doing it, have to try the mirror trick or something

UPDATE::::

he started a bubble nest, i guess he didn't like that particular half of the styrofoam cup haha, if it gets big enough by tomorrow spawn mignt be start tomorrow afternoon

Last edited:
Back