What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

whats a begginers?

• Thread starter manzano167
  • Start date
freshwater shrimp? thats it
oh and a link will be preciated

I had difficulty of finding shrimp that were recommended for a tank as warm as I keep my planted tank. I keep it around 80+ºF and I kept being told that most don't like it above 75ºF. I found a place in FL that raises their outdoors in raised, lined ponds year round and the water temps stay between 70ºF and 90ºF year round. I've not found these to be at all sensitive.

The cherry shrimp from this place have been in my tank since last summer and they have done great.

TaDeGe Shrimp

I actually bought mine from them on one of their aquabid auctions. Here's a current auction of theirs for 25 shrimp.

Here's one of the females. Sorry for the snail in the way. :-(
shrimp.jpg

David

They look nice red shrimp, get some of them :)

Ghost Shrips, RCS and other Neocardina sp. (don't mix different colors, they'll interbreed) are pretty easy. Amano Shrimp are good to but they breed in brackish water, but can live in fresh. It also depends on what type of water you have coming from your tap water.

Amano Shrimp are excellent fresh water shrimp. Both caridina and neocaridina species are easy to care for and fairly tolerant. Ghost shrimp have the reputation for being cannibalistic and have ravenous appetites.

-Hermes.

Thanks for your answers! cherry shrimps look interesting also i have fish water conditioner will that work? for most of the freshwater shrimps?

just avoid the chemicals all together and use distilled water to fill up the tank. although the practicality of this method severely decreases as you move past 5 gallons. i would try to refrain from using too much chemical additives as inverts are much more sensitive than fish to such things.

I'm new here, but saw this thread and needed to reply.

DO NOT use 100% distilled water in your aquarium unless you want 100% dead fish and shrimp. There are trace minerals in water that are necessary for aquatic creatures. Distilled or any other type of pure water (no minerals) should only be used to top off the tank after evaporation or to lower the hardness of your water.

Your tap water is likely fine, just be sure to use a dechlorinator. It is true that shrimp are more sensitive to chemicals, so you'll want to be careful using any fish medications, etc. Avoid copper.

As others have said Cherry Shrimp are quite easy to keep and breed often and in abundance.

While you may not want a fully planted tank, adding some easy to keep plants like java moss will be appreciated by the shrimp. They'll pick over the moss and find all kinds of goodies to eat and the babies will have a place to hide.

~Brian

Last edited:
Also just wanted to add that yes Cherry Reds are probably the easiest of the F/W shrimp to breed and keep, its also good practice to give them some driftwood, plants and aquarium soil for them, since as they start to berry, they tend to like to hide just before dropping their babies...

If you have problems with plants, Anubias are always a good and easy plant to keep, and if you give them what they need they should breed quite quickly and rapidly...

As for the topping up with distilled water, its not really as necessary with Cherry Red Shrimp compared with stuff like Crystal reds which tend to be a little more finicky... unless you water out of the tap has very high NitrAtes, NitrItes....

Also as with fish, shrimps will some what adapt to their surroundings, so keeping readings constant is more important that using a million chemicals to try and constantly balance parameters...

/bamboo shrimp are pretty easy, but they like to find ways into your filter. And they are filter feeders which makes them a bit tricky to feed. If you see them feeding off the gravel it means they're desperate for food.

Back