What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

amphirion's pico tank (2.5 gallons)

Cant wait to see this filled ! Have any idea what live stock your putting in there?

Nice job, Amph! Are you keeping any critters in there too?

@brokken: yes. hopefully, i'd like to house some small nano fish and shrimp. something that doesnt dig and cause the whole rock structure to collapse on it. XD

still figuring out the specifics though...

Oh my.. That tank it.. woah! So cool!

Really nice. Love the way everything is positioned and growing.

@devon: thanks very much---i think i will be purchasing some Orange Eyed Black Tiger Shrimp for starters....need to think more about what fish to put in.

Oh that would be cool! Shrimp are awesome. They're probably one of my favourite animals, actually... :p

Dude get shadow panda shrimp!! lol OEBTS would really look great.. theyre just so darn expensive !

update...
7111823885_e913c0853e_b.jpg

Oooh, nice! What are you planning on keeping in there?

these guys, photos taken from google:
8815_FRCSb.jpg

and these:
BTOE2-vi.jpg

unfortunately, wont be getting the second one very soon. I have the first one in another tank, but very few and they're good at hiding. :p

Wish I could have something like this! I did get a tank that was doing really well until I added one guppy to complete the school... Turns out it had a disease that I didn't know about and ended up infecting everything over night. After that I gave up and vowed to never go into fish tanks again.

With pictures like these though, lets see how long I last!

update:
8168724989_a277628e70_o.png

camera phone, will do better...

Such a nice setup! I loved the overgrown look of the first version. :)

I've been researching lately how to make my own. Got the old fish tank cleaned up and ready to go. Can't wait until I have a weekend to work on it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Very nice! Is that downoi in the back? It's so lush and healthy, I'm jealous:-O

@fish: yes it is. but at a close up, you might think differently. i recently gave them an iron dosing after 3-4 months. hahaha. im excited for the new growth!
8168800274_d34fd89f32_o.png

Yeah good luck! Downoi is a notoriously difficult plant to grow, especially in a small tank like this. From what I've heard/read (never actually grown this plant myself :lol:), it likes high CO2, high light, and soft water, but I'm sure you already knew that :hail:.

BTW, are you a member of SFBAAPS?

@fish: very true. if it werent for the fact that the plants were receiving high lighting and a nutrient soil tablets, they would have died a long time ago since CO2 isnt there to carry them through. and yes, i am actually a member of SFBAAPS, but i havent been to any of the meetings, and i havent been much of a contributor on the forums...

How do you keep the water clear when using peat? I can't get mine to not be yellow!

@divas: giving the peat a good through rinse under lots of water, wringing it out, and repeating will help get rid of most tannins. however, the water will have a slight yellow color, but not strong as the initial. you can also try utilizing Seachem's purigen (magic i tell you). i barely used any peat in the making of this tank. aquasoil was predominantly used.

Back