What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

amphirion's pico tank (2.5 gallons)

yes. a whopping 2.5 gallons.

stats:
tank dimensions: 12" x 6" x 8"
lighting: 36W power compact fluorescent (10,000 / 6700K) 12 hours a day.

flora:
Utricularia graminifolia
Anubias nana
Anubias nana 'petite'
Riccardia chamedryfolia
Pogostemon helferi
Genlisea margaretae

fauna:
Neocaridina heteropoda 'red'
Indostomus crocodylus
Neritina reclivata var. alexandre
Sundadanio axelrodi 'blue' (pending)
Corydoras pygmaeus (pending)

progress:
01-1.jpg

02-1.jpg

DSCN3640.jpg

DSCN3648.jpg

DSCN3660.jpg

DSCN3685.jpg

DSCN3691.jpg

DSCN3689.jpg

Last edited:
I was looking forward to seeing your hand as scale :lol:
But it's looking absolutely gorgeous! Very well, Jon! Truly a work of living art!

It looks delicious - put a fire under that and you'll have a tasty soup :p.

Seriously though, I think it's a very nicely arranged design, a cute small tank very well put together, and I love your choice of plants and animals. It looks lovely!

Awesome! I just got a 225 white light LED panel wonder how it would do over a mini planted tank...

i would love to know as well...i can use the extra lighting. even though im topping out at 14.4 watts per gallon!

Hurumph.... Well after running the LED light panel all day I may as well have CFLs over my mini orchids, this LED panel heats the tank up just as much and they aren't as bright as 2 26 watt CFLs would be! :(

I suppose water wouldn't be any different. I will try it over the 2.5 I got for my cats betta anyway but empty (I don't have the fish or aquatics yet). Maybe if the panel was up off the lid by an inch or two and there was room for air circulation... ???

i wouldnt worry to much about the heat. the tank needs to be about 75-85 F anyways for tropical fish...

The grass or whatever it is looks beautiful!

@larry: thanks very much! it's actually Utricularia graminifolia!

updates:
its a beast....
DSCN3958.JPG

DSCN3960.JPG

DSCN3961.JPG

DSCN3962.JPG

That's very nicely grown in and the fish are too cute :p

Looks great :)
Is that diatom algae in the last pic btw ?

Jon,
Beautiful tank! :hail: What's your substrate?

A little piece of fantastic! :)

thanks everyone for the kind comments...
@Ron: it's florabase. it's been in that tank for well over a year---about the same time when it starts to break down...that being said, i dont think UG even gives a hoot. XD

Holy cow...that's incredible :drool:

beautiful tank set up I liked a lot
Hopefully I will make one during the year.
do you use CO2 on it?

@cain: CO2 diffuser, 2 gatorade bottles, check valves, CO2 resistant tubing, sugar and yeast....pretty much it. :)

that's sounds simple, I will give a try in a free time
thanks amphiron

What? You don't like decorative colored rocks? LOL.

Just kidding. The u. graminifolia really makes this display stand out. I don't know much about utricularia. Never really had an interest in them. Does they normally grow at this depth? Do the flowers make it above the water line?

Back