What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My annual killie attempt (Nothobranchius palmqvisti)

Hey Duane! I've been trying to get a decent shot.. but really haven't gotten any that I REALLY like. So these are just a couple of my trials to get that perfect picture.
Andrew

IMG_2402.JPG

This one shows how drab the girls are Vs. the male which is in focus.
IMG_2397.JPG

This one shows a male that colored up sooner, and the other two are males that didn't start to grow or get color until they were moved to the larger tank. These are referred to as "sleeper males" in the hobby, and they generally color up when male count goes down (or apparently their home area gets bigger).
IMG_2402.JPG

Very nice!

Any updates? :)

Awesome annuals! I took the dive into killies recently with Fundulo gardneri. They're so colorful and active! I think I'm hooked, no pun intended.

Update hmm... I'm no longer breeding these fish. They have been moved to my 110g community tank and are living just fine in there. :) I'm still working on raising my second fish (see other topic) actually I just dropped a breeding bowl in there for them since a girl has eggs. And to jump back to this species, as I reported in my auction listing, I checked my first bag of eggs collected back in Jan and they are "eyes up" so it seems I've done everything right and it will soon be time for me to hatch them. The circle begins!
Nice wire man! Gonna bid? heh
Andrew

Well, hatched my first bag of my own collected eggs about 36 hrs ago. This is not all of them, but is the most concentrated part of the 2.5g tank. Guess this means I'm kinda accomplished now, received eggs to my own. WOOT!

Andrew

IMG_2921.JPG

Wow, that is a huge hatch! I think this is a prime example of the student outperforming the instructor. Great job, Andrew!

Sweet Success!
Looks like we will be seeing some more coming up for next years auction hopefully! I totally missed out this year!

Back