What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My annual killie attempt (Nothobranchius palmqvisti)

I'd say they are 1/2"-3/4"
Also, it's not too easily to be seen in this poor video, but I found it interesting that the male uses his dorsal fin to wrap up over the girl and then uses his fins to push her down into the peat.... I'll definetly work on getting the glass clean and such so I can get a better video. :p
Andrew

Sweet! I love small these days!

You going to be all set up and ready to try these in.... 6 month or so Swords? ;)

I sure could be! :)
I don't have any fish in my snail tank yet.

So, there were more fish in there than I thought! I moved 18 fish out, leaving 1 boy and 3 girls... to wake up this morning and find there are 4 girls left in the tank. So that gives me 23 live fish, plus the one that died when it got sucked up during a water change plus the one with the broken spine and the belly slider I had found. 26 fish. Wow!

Great job raising the fish Andrew! You should expect the fish to continue growing for another month. The males should max out at around 1.5" and the females a little smaller.

26 - cool can they all live together or will you be selling the extras to a LFS? I had multiple male A. australes in a tank with no problems but I don't know how these behave.

Whenever you have eggs available I'll buy a batch!

I put all of them together in my planted 29g tank. They should be fine, but one male will probably be alpha and be the only one allowed around the peat bowl. :p I should have plenty of batches of eggs to get you one if you're interested in trying them, no problem! Do you have some shrimps in the tank? Seems my unfiltered tank did/is doing just fine with some java moss, red cherry shrimp, and water sprite. You can't run a typical filter with them as babies... they'll just get sucked up.
Andrew

@adnedarn: ever try putting multiple peat dishes in the tank? allow multiple males to spawn? go leks!

I have not, this is my first time doing killies ;) I'm not sure if each male would pick a dish and go at it or what... but it seems that egg count may be unreliable with that method. ???

With fry in a tank I cut apart a filter sponge and make a cover to pull over the intake tube. This cuts the flow rate down and won't suck up the little guys and they seem to like picking at the sponge - there must be food bits there.

The A. austarles are egg scatterers as opposed to peat spawners so they spawned on everything. On the java fern, under the log, behind a rock, on top of some floating plants near the water surface... they were busy fishies! LOL

I just waited until i saw tiny golden eyeballs peeking out of the plants and used a turkey baster to suck them up and move them to a fry tank. I got tired of fry hunting after a while though and just started to put adult and fry food in there and the strong/clever would survive and get sold off when they started coloring up.

I have not tried shrimps yet in my new tank. In the old days they would only last a few days but since I'm doing so well with the purple apple snails maybe i will do OK with the shrimps this time. I might pick up some ghost shrimps just to see how it goes before I ever try the cherry reds that cost a lot more.

Also need to remember the baby brine shrimp you feed them for the first month or so... and the current sucking those all over the place. But I guess you could just shut down the pump for half hour during feeding time. I have gotten all my red cherries from plantedtank.net it seems people are almost always around there somewhere with a deal. 20 for $20 or $25 shipped seems to be around what I generally pick them up for. My first batch of them did great and I had babies all over, but since then I'm not sure what is different but I don't have the mass breeding going on that I did.

They're pretty little fish! So cute!!
You're making them very happy! Keep it up!

Wow that web cam is cool!

Thanks swords! I've done some work on the software and gotten the video quite a bit better... Check it out =)
Andrew

Last edited:
Well, tonight I changed out my first batch of peat. I am one step closer to coming full circle!
Andrew

IMG_2192.JPG

Nice job finding an egg in the dirt Andrew! Your first bag of Magic Peat. :banana2:

Hey, Andrew, any updates? Those mature males should be showing some nice color and fin development by now. ;)

Back