What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The amazing “flying” pond snail

I was walking past my aquarium yesterday and saw this little pond snail suspended in the water. When I looked closer I could see that the snail was veeeeery slowly sinking and had its body extended as if it was trying to reach the bottom.

I grabbed my camera and took a few photos for my blog.

The snail slowly drifted down to a perfect landing on a submerged plant. The photo below was taken as the snail was extending its body towards the plant it was about to land on and looking for all the world as if it was flying!

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

flying snail copyright ernie cooper 2012_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

My Tylomelania would do this, but it was not at all graceful. The first time one of them tried a freefall I thought the aquarium was cracking because of how noisy the shell hitting the sides was.

My Tylomelania would do this, but it was not at all graceful. The first time one of them tried a freefall I thought the aquarium was cracking because of how noisy the shell hitting the sides was.

LOL! Thanks!

EC

Awesome photo. This I wish snails did this in the atmosphere. Attack of The Floating Snails!!:lol:

Super pic!

this picture is underwater?
fantastic shot.

Back