What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thai micro crab (pic)

I recently bought a couple of Thai micro crabs (Limnopilos naiyanetri) to photograph and add to my aquarium. These critters were really tiny and my aquarium is chock full of wood and plants. I knew that once I added the crabs I would be lucky to ever see them again; so I took the time to take photos first.

This is one of a series I posted on my blog (http://wp.me/p2wM8r-uB).

Olympus OM-D E-M5, Zuiko 35mm macro, manual exposure (F11-22 @ 1/200 sec), Olympus RF-11 ring flash (1/4 power), ISO: 200
P8030207 thai micro crab copyright ernie cooper by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

I also tried shooting a little video. I didn’t have very much light and had to shoot with the lens wide open, so the depth of field is really shallow. Only later did I realize that I should have increased the ISO so that I could have used a smaller aperture (and gained depth of field) (smacks head). Oh well, next time...

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

Neat critter. So just how small are they?

Cute little guys! I've seen them for sale a few times. Are you going to try to breed them?

Those are amazing! Great photos!
I've heard that they can breed in freshwater, but sofar no one has been able to breed them.
I hope you give it a shot!

Gorgeous! These were quite uncommon a few years back.

Acro they have been bred actually. I remember someone did it in a big heavily planted tank, can't provide you with a link though.

maxima,
If you ever stumble across that link, I would love to see!!!
I hope to keep those crabs (some day) and breed them. :D

Back