What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First planted tank!

I've started my first ever planted tank. I recently got rid of my 55 gallon, so this is just made of a ten gallon I had lying around. A member here on the forums was generous enough to send me several plants to start up. It's a dirt bottom tank with the LED equivalent of 40 watts of light. I'm currently in the process of rigging up some DIY co2 as I think my light is a little excessive for a low tech. I'm still new at this so any advice/comments are greatly welcome:-D

In there I have a somewhat unidentified grass, sagittarius, java fern, wisteria, hornwort floatring, and a banana plant cutting. There's also a couple of parrot feather cuttings but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with those yet.

20140908_223652.jpg

I've actually been able to spot visible growth for the past couple of days. Also I'm going to remove the in tank filter and install a canister filter next week.

Banana plant cuttings can be grown aquatically?

It's an aquatic plant called a "banana plant" because the form of it's roots resembles a bunch of bananas.

Nymphoides aquatica
p-330026-Banana-Plant.jpg

Monkey,
I can't see the photo of your tank.

Last edited:
HAH! actually it appears photobucket is down.

You should get some Utricularia graminifolia in there. It forms a nice grassy carpet in planted tank and gives you the obligatory carnivore.

You should get some Utricularia graminifolia in there. It forms a nice grassy carpet in planted tank and gives you the obligatory carnivore.

+1!!!

55gal tanks make a nice size for mini orchids. :D

Tank looks nice so far. Will there later be "wild life"?

Here's some pics of big momma. I forget which member originally sent it, but I am pretty glad I got it long ago. It has overwintered twice at least, if I remember correctly.

Back