What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potomotrygon castexi

Here's a photo I just found of my Otorongo Ray (Potomotrygon castexi) in his new home at The New England Aquarium. They keep him the "Primitive Fish" display with a large lungfish, alligator gar and an arowana.

Did he get to big for you or did u just donate him he's a beautiful fish

I had to move and couldn't get the tank and the fish moved at the same time. Freshwater rays are very sensitive and they wouldn't have survived the move. Had no choice but to donate them. I also gave them a P.motoro that's in their large Amazon display. Oddly, I had to teach them how to keep them alive. They'd killed every previous FW ray they'd ever got in short order.

Last edited:
Thats awesome. So...what's the secret to keeping them alive?

It was mostly what they were trying to feed them. They'd been feeding them frozen silversides so, they'd basically been starving them to death.

What do they prefer to eat? How big was the tank you had it in?

I fed mine live shiners, nightcrawlers, live crayfish and fresh frozen tiger shrimp supplemented with the same vitamin and calcium powders I used for the reptiles. They lived in a custom 4' x 6' tank I designed specifically for rays.

Last edited:
Man, youre getting me all interested:). I like strange pets. I once had a skunk for a pet lol. Spray glands removed, of course.

Awesome!

Awesome! Love rays. Got any pics of the motoro?

No, none left. I should go by the NEAQ soon and see how they're both doing.

Ha! I may even have a pic of them somewhere, I took hundreds last time I was there. Trying to find them is the trick.

See if you can find any, that'd be great ! Like I said, the Otorongo is in the Primitive Fish display and the Motoro is in that huge Amazon tank. I'd love to see pics of them if they're still there.

When did you donate them?

I visited back 2008 or 2009, I think. Great aquarium.

I donated them in late 2001 or early 2002. This photo of my old P.castexi was taken around the time you visited. I should really take a trip soon to see if they're both still there and get some new photos.

Back