What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75 gallon Dutch style

While I wait to assemble the pieces for my outdoor whiskey barrel bog, I thought I'd share a couple pics of my planted tank since we have a forum for that here. It's a 75 gallon acrylic tank with 4x54 watt t5ho lighting and pressurized co2 injection. It's not "finished" but it's starting to come together. Going for a older fashion Dutch style aquascape no one seems to do anymore for whatever reason

457c7b02a335eb7bc39d8be53f50eac2.jpg

b7e77f0d7ea637624be2a91c7ae8a9b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good! I have a fondness for planted tanks.

Where do you source your plants?

Thanks for the kind words. I've sourced everything from all over really. I live in a fairly small town so some more high end specialized gear like bulbs, dual stage regulator, fertilizers and reactors needed to be ordered online. For plants, believe it or not most of them are the dry pack tissue cultures from petsmart. Tiny starter packs that ended up exploding and really growing well for me. There is a fairly booming planted tank forum community that I'm part of so I've been able to find others in the area and trade plants and some were purchased from fish stores in other cities. Kind of all over really I don't have one central place i source stuff from

I think you can source most aquatic plants from the forum on plantedtank.net

Browse the for sale threads or post a want to buy, the selection there is outrageous, typically reasonably priced, and it usually doesn't take too long unless its something really uncommon.

Those tissue culture packs aren't actually a bad deal. The plants start small but typically take off and you usually get a ton of them for the price. Just be careful that it is a true aquatic, many of them aren't really aquatic plants and will die if submerged too long.

Plantedtank.net is the booming forum I refer to. I'm pretty specific about what plants I aim for and don't just grab them whilly nilly. I actually have one species that isn't true aquatic but it is a staple amongst classic Dutch aquascapes and that is Lobelia cardinalis. The only way to really keep it and have it flourish in a fully submerged environment is to have plenty of co2. It's done real well for me and is one of my best growers. It's the plant located on the bottom front right corner.

Plantedtank.net is the booming forum I refer to. I'm pretty specific about what plants I aim for and don't just grab them whilly nilly. I actually have one species that isn't true aquatic but it is a staple amongst classic Dutch aquascapes and that is Lobelia cardinalis. The only way to really keep it and have it flourish in a fully submerged environment is to have plenty of co2. It's done real well for me and is one of my best growers. It's the plant located on the bottom front right corner.

All that technology and effort so red cardinal won't grow up, out of the water and bloom? No thanks!

I wouldn't so much say it's so it won't bloom. More so that it will die submerged without heavy co2 injection

Although since you brought that up I see that it can have some amazing blooms if grown terrestrially I'll be taking some trimmings and try to put them in pots at some point and see how they do outdoors

1ed92c8dce74b0bdaa5f8d755d13cc4c.jpg

Another FTS. Was gone all weekend and came back to some serious growth. Couple things needed. Shrimp. Have a bit of algae on the substrate. Looks to be a hair/stag horn type algae. Second. New plants. Want to replace several species with more reds. Third. Major rescape. Need to juxtaposition different plant colors and growth type/leaf shape better

Looks absolutely beautiful. I've always wanted to have a planted tank. This is making me want to start a much smaller scale and see how it goes. You mentioned wanting some more red plants; have you considered throwing in some cherry red shrimp? Would look killer among all the green foliage.

Thank you thank you. I actually have considered them. It's difficult to source them locally and I've never been real big on shrimp keeping, but I hear the red cherries breed like crazy and are super easy to keep, so I'm actually on the lookout for some. I'm kind of with the mindset that an aquarium cannot have too many red plants if freshwater, or too many red/orange corals if saltwater. That's always been my goal to maximize red colors since they're challenging to coax out, plus they provide an excellent contrast to the green heavy hues you find in both types of tanks. I will actually have the same mindset going forward with my outdoor bog container, as many reds as I can manage and avoid green. Not because I don't like green, but because there will inherently be a lot as it is, being that my whole yard/trees are green. I like the contrast

Back