What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie tank suggestion

Any updates on how they are doing?
biggrin.gif
cool.gif
blues.gif
laugh.gif
darn fish, eating the plants!
mad.gif
oyu should try an amazon sword plant

Hey!
That setup looks really cool!
I must warn you about certian fishes tendancies to eat the shrimp. I had a couple in one of my ten gallons, and I acidentialy skipped a feeding, and the shrimp were gone... Also I agree w/Spectabilis73 about the sword plant. Not only do they look good (I think) but I have had a sword plant For nearly 2 yrs... Since I started in the hobby.
Best of luck
Aaron

Oh, y'all want an update? Some of the shrimp have died, though I'm pretty sure it's not the fish since the shrimp are actually larger than them! They're fed a small amount twice a day, and except for the shrimp, it's easy to observe them showing evidence of eating properly
tounge.gif
Flakes in morning and night, and one algae tab at night.

Pondboy was nice enough to send me some plants. I was down to just the Cryptocoryne. The shrimp were chomping on everything else. Hopefully they'll do okay, I don't seem to have the magic touch for aquatic plants yet. I will buy the amazon sword if I need another plant, it looks great! I just want to be really careful as I have been, no point in adding too much until I get the hang of it. Also, for some reason, aquatics are really expensive in my area!

Pondboy actually sent me much more, but the stupid Post Office really, really damaged the package. And I mean large holes, leaking, etc. It came in a plastic PO bag with their disclaimer about mangling my package. Arggg!

Swimmin' things
4 neon tetras
1 leopard corydoras
1 Otocinclus affinis
9? ghost shrimp

Plants
1 Cryptocoryne wendtii
3 darned cool purple water lilies
2 nymphoides
2 sprigs hornwort
1 giant val

sounds good. do you notice any round balls inside of any of the shrimp? if ya do, those are eggs!
biggrin.gif

Lol.aquatics are expensive anywhere you go.so sorry the darn post office messed up the plants I sent ya:(

Yeah, I've seen quite a few shrimp with eggs. Odd thing is, the same amount of pregnant shrimp also happen to be the same number of missing shrimp.
rock.gif
Anyway, I see little critters swimming around in there, either baby shrimp, and/or something else. I've had Sea Monkeys and regular brine shrimp, so there are some that swim like that. But there's some kind of critter that swims very fast and in weird and quick-changing directions. Almost like it's jumping around.

LOL, my mom asked how big those shrimp got when I told her I saw lots of eggs. Then she asked me if they were edible!

Hey pondboy, not your fault. Those post office folks only seem to mess up on plant packages! Geez, you'd think they would have a bit more respect when re-packaging.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wickedthistle @ Oct. 30 2003,12:02)]Yeah, I've seen quite a few shrimp with eggs. Odd thing is, the same amount of pregnant shrimp also happen to be the same number of missing shrimp.   Anyway, I see little critters swimming around in there, either baby shrimp, and/or something else. I've had Sea Monkeys and regular brine shrimp, so there are some that swim like that. But there's some kind of critter that swims very fast and in weird and quick-changing directions. Almost like it's jumping around.

LOL, my mom asked how big those shrimp got when I told her I saw lots of eggs. Then she asked me if they were edible!

Hey pondboy, not your fault. Those post office folks only seem to mess up on plant packages! Geez, you'd think they would have a bit more respect when re-packaging.

Congrats!
unclesam.gif
those little jumpy things are shrimp fry. I'm 100% sure
biggrin.gif
Sad thing is though, when the female lays eggs, she dies, i think
sad.gif
At least you got tons of babies
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

-Spec

It's sad that they die, but I feel better about it now. I had been wondering if I was doing something wrong, it's awfully strange to see healthy fat pregnant shrimp swimming around at night and then find shrimp pieces everywhere the next morning.

any update pics wickedthistle , and if you don't already have enough plant then you should try to get some cambomba and a betta would hurt to add in i believe .:;):

Okay, here's an after picture. I switched the lights, but the new one is actually brighter. I just took the pic at a bad angle.

You can see how the the two plants near the front are doing much worse, but the other one in the back right is thriving. The rest are new plants. There's actually the same amount of large rocks as before (all I added was 5lb of black gravel) but they're spread about more. And of course, the fish saw the camera and went into hiding. the white thing in the middle is a piece of PVC pipe for hiding in and where I put the algae tablets so they dont' make as much of a mess.

It's a bit scummy, I haven't cleaned it since I got it. I'll probably to a quick scrub and 25% change this weekend.

tank2.jpg

how many neon tetras do you have? i see only one
ghostface.gif
you should get at least 6
biggrin.gif

The tank looks great, its a bit bare though, you should get some top dwelling fish. I would start with 3 hatchets
biggrin.gif

Umm....Wicked wheres the plants I sent ya in that pic?

Ah, sorry. Here's a better pic. I cleaned out the tank and re-potted all of the plants. I took out some of the bigger gravel, I need to get another 5lb of the regular stuff, but as usual, the store has sold out everything but the rainbow color. Yuck.

There's 4 neon tetras, but at least this time you can see 2! Hatchets are a good idea, but I'm unfortunetly restricted to what the store has in stock. They didn't have any, but said to check back in a few weeks. Oh, and I'd prefer not to have fish that prefer live or frozen food - it gives me the willies
ghostface.gif

Giant val in bottom left, the nymphoides in the front left and front right. The lily's in the center. The piece of hornwort that survived is floating up top and you can't see it. Green myrio was too rotted when it arrived (as I mentioned, the PO played havoc with the package).

You can see in the pic a string connected to a piece of zucchini with a rock weighing it down. I'm fishing for those annoying snails that keep propagating. I guess they don't like zucchini, haven't caught any lately but the algae suckers like to sit on it.

tank3.jpg

Back