What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The big galut

I had 3 kids once,all in preschool and kindergarden.Like all kids they delighted in the new and exotic...the charm of novelty I guess.

We were at Wal-mart one day and they spied the fish.Of course they wanted a gold fish and a bowl so I gave in and bought them one.(We'll take care of it,Dad-we really,really will) A single goldfish....really a feeder fish that is actually cream colored and a 1/2 gallon bowl. 10 cents for the fish and maybe 3 bucks for the bowl.Not a bad deal or so I thought.

My thinking was that they would tire of the whole affair in a few days and the fish would go belly up in a matter of weeks.That would be the end of it and the kids would get a lesson in the cycle of life.Again, so I thought.

Now the kids are in High School (where did the time go?) and their main demands these days are for car keys and cash.

What about the fish? Well, the thing seems to be immortal and still resides happily on my coffee table, now in a five gallon bowl.The ten cent fish now requires using both hands when I catch him to change his water.He has grown into a fat,clumsy monster of a creature...thus the name I gave him-Big Galut.

I suppose I should have flushed him years ago but that's not my nature.Having brought him home I felt,and wearily still feel obligated to give him the best possible care I could...what's that old saying? -no good deed will ever go unpunished- Must be true! Or would "The best laid plans of mice and men be more appropriate.

If only Oregon had a warm water pond somewhere!. Nah,with my luck, I would be sent to prison for introducing exoctic species.

wow, that goldfish is old! not too old for a goldfish, koi can live up to 250 years! how big is your goldfish? oh, and goldfish are cold water fish, they can live in an outdoor pond, and if it's deep enough (4 feet), survive the winter! I know of someone who,, in the summer, lets his large pool go without clorine, and then adds the goldfish! they didn't need to be fed, the algea came in and you couldn't even see to the bottom of the pool! that's what fed the goldfish. well, they would survive the winter, and by may would come, the goldfish were 5-6 inches long! and these were 1 1/2 inch feeders!

Ummm... not to rain on your wonderful parade or anything, but don't you think that a five gallon is a bit small for a two-hands-needed goldie? He should be in atleast a ten gallon.

what he means, flytrapgurl, is that the goldfish is slippery and fast, not nessicaraly big.

lol, I can take it both ways spec, your way or ftg's...

just for info though (not jusging here!
smile.gif
the general rule for goldfish is 30 gallons per fish... they are, to say the least, probably the most talented aquatic animal at fowling their water with excriment...

did I put that poetically enough?
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ May 28 2003,10:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">what he means, flytrapgurl, is that the goldfish is slippery and fast, not nessicaraly big.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Bingo-give the man a cigar!

For years I could grab him with a single hand swipe. Now it reguires two in order to to subdue his trashing about during transfer.

I could keep going up in tanks sizes but there has to be a limit somewhere.Changing a 5'er every 3 days is hassel enough...I don't want to even contemplate doing ten.

When I go away on trips I stick him in my 30 gallon planted aquarium and he provides an ample amount of fertilizer and thoroughly enjoys romping among the plants.I considered leaving him there permanently but that would be an invitation for him to grow even larger. Besides ,more than a month in there and I would have a disaster in the making for the planted tank.

The last time I was in Sacremento I had diner at a resturant that featured a nice outdoor pond of Koi and goldfish on the property.Over Father's Day weekend my family and I are planning to drive down to Ft.Bragg Biological gardens then drive north up the coast highway and visit other botanical areas like the Darlingtonia Wayside in Oregon. I will pass through Sacremento on the way to Ft,Bragg.If I can find the resturant again I think I will ask the owner for permission to drop th' Big Galut off there.If I can get permission I would happily bring the big guy there...great for him...better for me.

Or you could just dump him in the San Antonio River next time your in town. LOL... (that is ajoke... and it is also cruel to the fish&#33
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ May 28 2003,10:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">what he means, flytrapgurl, is that the goldfish is slippery and fast, not nessicaraly big.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Ok, I get it... geez...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FlytrapGurl @ May 29 2003,1:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ May 28 2003,10:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">what he means, flytrapgurl, is that the goldfish is slippery and fast, not nessicaraly big.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Ok, I get it... geez...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Sorry FlytrapGurl, I didn't mean to say it in a mean way or to offend you...
sad.gif

It's okay! The only thing that gave me that impression was the emoticon face you used(the first one up from the one that says ''pft'' ).

That's all. No offense taken now!  
smile.gif

no wonder! i made the
icon8.gif
face instead of the
icon1.gif
face! (the
icon8.gif
face is right under the
icon1.gif
face)
-Spec
smile.gif

Oh I see. Hehehe.

Whaa--? How did you get those smilies inside your post???

A cpedr never reveals his secret... j/k LOL
Just treat the smiley like a picture, if oyu do that, you cna take smileys from other places and put them here!
icon5.gif

hehh.. flytrap girl, PM me and I'll teach you how if Specs going to be to elite!
smile.gif

Here are some more that are just a little harder to learn than the ones spec used!

icon15.gif

icon16.gif

icon17.gif

icon18.gif

wow, THOSE are the new smileys on pft? COOL!!!
icon17.gif

:surprized:
:mad:
1) 2) 3) 4) 5) 6) 7)
alien.gif
9) 0)
&#33
wink.gif
@) #) &#036
wink.gif
%) ^) &)
rolleyes.gif

!&#33
wink.gif
@@) ##) $&#036
wink.gif
%%) ^^) &&) *
rolleyes.gif

@) =)
Quote (RamPuppy @ May 30 2003,8:30)
hehh.. flytrap girl, PM me and I'll teach you how if Specs going to be to elite!

Here are some more that are just a little harder to learn than the ones spec used!

hey ram, could you teach me how to use those smileys? other than insterting them as an image?

WHY DELETE IT?

icon18.gif

rolleyes.gif
 :lalalala :surprised  

: that face when you tell your girlfriend that you mortgaged the house to buy a Porsche 911 Turbo!  
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif

!&#33
wink.gif
@@) ##) $&#036
wink.gif
:$ %%)^^)&&)**)8)())(
rolleyes.gif

confused.gif

wink.gif

mad.gif

sad.gif

tounge.gif

wow.gif

biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif
 Emotion fever, Spec
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif
**)  
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (lithopsman @ June 03 2003,4:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
icon18.gif

rolleyes.gif
 :lalalala: :surprised:  

:that face when you tell your girlfriend that you mortgaged the house to buy a Porsche 911 Turbo!  
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif

!&#33
wink.gif
@@) ##) $&#036
wink.gif
:$ %%)^^)&&)**)8)())(
rolleyes.gif

confused.gif

wink.gif

mad.gif