What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bamboo shrimp

Hey all, I just became the proud new owner of a Bamboo Shrimp. And boy do the little guppies want it to be food.
wink.gif
Good thing he's so much bigger than their brine shrimp, though I do feel bad feeding the guppies extremely distant cousins of the bamboo.
tounge.gif

Anything special I should know or may want to know about this guy? The net seems to be pretty vague unless you want a good restaurant in hong kong that fries them up.
tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vertigo @ Sep. 02 2003,09:3
alien.gif
</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey all, I just became the proud new owner of a Bamboo Shrimp.  And boy do the little guppies want it to be food.  
wink.gif
 Good thing he's so much bigger than their brine shrimp, though I do feel bad feeding the guppies extremely distant cousins of the bamboo.  
tounge.gif

Anything special I should know or may want to know about this guy?  The net seems to be pretty vague unless you want a good restaurant in hong kong that fries them up.  
tounge.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
You see? We're all so upsessed with carnivorous plants now, we say 'growing tips', on animals, instead of 'care tips'!!!
wow.gif
tounge.gif
rolleyes.gif

I believe the bamboo shrimp and ghost shrimp are the same... am I correct?
smile.gif

If so, they clean fish tanks very well. they will scavange on any fish food that has not been eaten by the guppies and has sunken to the gravel. they also like sinking cichlid pellets and koi pellets. Oh, and they like to eat cut up beef heart, beef meat, chicken, etc. Good luck!
-Spec

edit: found some info on your shrimp:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Survive in aquariums: Yes
Survive in warm ponds: Not recommended
Survive in cold ponds: No
Plant eating capacity: Low
Algae eating capacity: Low for surface algae, high for suspended algae

The wood shrimp is a great shrimp. Wood shrimp are Atyopsis species such as Atyopsis moluccensis and may also be called Singapore shrimp or bamboo shrimp. They are unique in that they grow up to three inches, live longer, and are filter feeders. They have two pairs of feathery appendages to collect suspended algae and microorganisms. Wood shrimp need temperatures in the mid-70's F to mid 80's F and cannot tolerate cold. Our local aquarium store has them in a 200 gallon completely planted tank at 80 degrees F. This is an ideal home for them. They will not do well in small tanks without a lot of suspended foods. Wood shrimp are so named because they blend in with driftwood. They have a dark stripe down their wood-colored body. They can change colors within the brown, yellow-brown, and orange-brown area of colors to match their surroundings.

One aquarist has 6 wood shrimp in a 150 gallon tank and provided the following information. Some of the tank statistics include 83 degrees F; web/dry filtration, UV sterilization; live and fake plants, rocks, driftwood; pH 6.9, GH 4, KH 1; 7 discus, 6 angels, 10 cories, 1 dwarf pleco; 33% weekly water change, 5% mid-week water change; feeds flake, spirulina disks, and live foods. One of the shrimp is larger and a deep and bright orange. This one stands on top of the other shrimp and travels all over the tank, and is therefore, most likely a male. At least three of the duller shrimp carry eggs that are bright red-orange under their bodies. The females fan the eggs which fade in color as they mature. The shrimp are elusive but females with eggs seem to more vigorously and boldly eat off things growing on the driftwood.

[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Atyopsis species, Wood, Bamboo, Singapore Shrimp. Up to three inches in length. Filter/suspension feeders, good for green water conditions.  Tropical, temp.s. in mid-70's to 80's. Shown: Atyopsis moluccensis. Have two pair of specialized sieving appendages.   [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
i will post the pics in a minute

Atyopsis_moluccensisAQ.jpg

these shrimp may get bigger than your guppies... and start eating them
wow.gif

Wow, thanks for the info spec. After reading all that i'm 10x happier that I got him.
smile.gif
I needed something to attack suspened algae in case I ever had that problem again, and from what I had read before, they couldn't name one freshwater creature. The sieving appendages look really cool. He just hangs out under the filter and grabs all the big pieces of food that the fish missed and either breaks it up a little more, or grabs it and stuffs it into his mouth.
smile.gif

I don't think he'll go after the guppies at all, way too many plants and nutrients floating around the tank. Besides, the little guppies already tried to eat him.
tounge.gif
Once they saw the antennae they thought they were worms so they went balistic. Hehehe. I'll try the sinking pellots for him and see what he thinks, but so far it's anything that the filter goes to take in is what he's after. Doesn't seem to like that strong of a current though. I had to turn my filter down a little to get him to stay out from hiding and hang out.

Man, I can't wait till I can find a spot for a bigger tank so I can get more of these guys.
smile.gif

Thanks again spec.

Oh well, I guess I don't have to wait anymore to get another one.
sad.gif
I got home last night and he was hanging out on a leaf...for hours without moving...so I poked him and he fell over.

No noticeable signs of anything on him...he actually looked kind of preserved which was weird.

Should it be a safe assumption that maybe the water got a little cooler at night and that's why it happened?
confused.gif

sorry about your shrimp
sad.gif
Did he climb out of the tank? My crab used to do that all the time... he would always go back into the tank, so i didn't worry.... then one night he left and didn't come back... i found him near a fake palm tree a week later
sad.gif
... I dont see why the shrimp would go out of the tank if the water got cooler
confused.gif

Back