What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your aquariums friend, the sae

This came up in another thread, and i know it's something that i didn't learn about until i'd done a lot of reading in the rec.aquaria newsgroups, so i thought i'd post some info here.

To keep algae problems under control in an aquarium, it is essential to have some fish that eat algae. Some do a better job of this than others, and some are especially sought after because they eat algae that no others will eat. One example of this is the Siamese Algae Eater (SAE), Crossocheilus siamensis.

There are several fish that are very similar in appearance to the SAE, and often sold under that same name. Unfortunately, these fish not only aren't very good algae eaters, but they can become bullies towards your other fish.

The Krib, an excellent aquarium information site, has this page that explains in great detail these different fish, and how to tell them apart. Some are easier than others. The hardest is probably this one,
FalseSAEBst.jpg
Notice that the black bar doesn't continue into the transparent tail fin. That's the only obvious (to us ignoramouses) difference between this fish and a true SAE.

Here are a couple pictures i took of my two SAEs, so you can see the difference:
20030510-AQ-True SAEs.jpg

20030510-AQ-True SAEs, Platy.jpg

Note the distinguishing characteristics: the somewhat jagged black bar, the dark-outlined brown scales above the bar, and the extension of the bar into the tail. There are others listed on the krib page, so be sure to check it out.

Good luck with your algae, and by all means, avoid the so-called "Chinese Algae Eaters"!!!

the reason why don't like plecos or algea eaters too much is that they invade cichlid nests and eat the eggs! I have a pleco in my pacu tank, i odn't mind that, but I don't want one in my cichlid tank! it's covered in algea now! I'm gonna be forced to get one soon lol, maybe 3 of them

Sorry this is a little bit off-topic (but), has anyone else had a bad experience with Chinese Algae Eaters? I bought one, and after it grew to about 2.5", it became really mean and started attacking my precious guppies with its sucker mouth. I eventually had to return it the store I bought it from.

Yes,they are notorius for that i have witnessed it many times at lfs`s.

Ae's eats the egg of some of my fishes, they cover to vast of an area, and all my eggs were endangered. So I had to make a seperate breeding tank for my fishes.

Mine did the same thing when it passed 7" or so.

Back