What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What fish go in a platy tank well?

• Thread starter ktulu
  • Start date
i am going to set up a tank that i am going to keep a few platies in. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for fish that would get along well with them. I dont want anything that would be too agressive and harm my other fish.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
ktulu

A good starter aquarium is:
10-29 gallon aquarium
5 mollies
5 neon tetras
5 guppies
3 hatchet fish

Spec, I hate to do this to you but I am going to have to disagree on this. The requirements of guppys and mollies differ from the requirements of neon tetras and hatchet fish....

If I had to start a beginers tank today I would choose 5 small tetras (not neon) and I would add them first, after a month I would add some hatchet fish, then maybe 3 to 5 Corydoras catfish (because I like them...they dont "clean the bottom") I would also add an unusual pleco, Im wondering what Zebra Plecos are going for these days? and last I would add a pair or peaceful dwarf Cichlids.....

All could be housed in a 10 gallon aquarium provided water changes are performed very frequenly....a 20 gallon would provide a larger margine for error.

thank you for the input, but neither of you really answeared the question i had. I have had sevral platy fish befor and would like to get some more. I am just wondering what would go well with them, i dont really want a tank with out atleast one platy in it. They are my favorite kind of fish, so if anyone has any suggestions of fish that would get along with them, that would be great.

Thanks
ktulu

ok....I take this back....I read the question as what fish go in a plant tank....

its ok, i went back and read that, and it is a bit confusing. Sorry about that. I meant platy, the fish, not plants.

Sorry about the confusion.
Ktulu

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ June 25 2003,09:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A good starter aquarium is:
10-29 gallon aquarium
5 mollies
5 neon tetras
5 guppies
3 hatchet fish[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
i meant 5 platties, not 5 mollies
biggrin.gif
and kayaker, this was one of my first aquarium set ups I had about 6 years ago, and the fish were great
biggrin.gif

Hmmmm... cories or danios would do well, also.

Hi Ktulu,

Platies are just about the perfect fish. You might try a tank with all platies of different colors and fin types. There are hi fin platies, plumetail platies and even lyretail platies. The color variations are endless. Also, there are the typical "moon" platies -- short and stocky -- and the "variatus" platies -- longer and less stout. A school of cory cats on the bottom would do well with platies as they are just as sweet as the platies. Red platies and black mollies would look good together. Emperor tetras would be good with the platies. Croaking Gouramis are a nice fish and quite different and pretty. Furcata Rainbows would be nice. But I think a tank of various platies and corys would be the nicest. They blend very well.

Bobby

I think almost anything will get along with platies. Of all the fish i have in with my puffers, the platies are the only ones that haven't suffered any abuse. I would suggest you not get any fish that are finicky or slow eaters, though, because the piggish platies will eat all their food before they get to it!

Really, my platies are the probably the toughest aquarium fish i've ever seen.

Back