What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your favorite fresh water fish?

I've never heard of a glass milk bottle...

Would a medicine dropper work to catch the shrimp? How tightly do they cluster around light? My idea would be using a medicine dropper to suck the shrimp up, and then squirting them onto the brine shrimp net, coffee filter, whatever it is.

Also, do you think a few apistos like cacautoides would harm the montys? Most likely choice would be the cockatoo as others should have soft water. Perhaps they will make use of the bigger scuds.

Now that I think of it, I remember seeing a female heterandria formosa snatch a medium sized scud and gulp it down. Dunno how she managed though!

Hi Nflytrap,

WholeFoods used to sell organic milk in glass bottles. They still do but only in quarts now no 1/2 gallons but California might be different. Look around but any 1/2 gallon pitcher, vase, bottle will work as long as you can get into it easily.
No on the eye dropper. The water is too dep and the top to small. It would be a mess. Siphoning is easy or buy the professional ones I mentioned that siphon built in from the bottom. BBS is really easy, I promise.
Cockatoos would be a great addition. I have Nanochromis species in with mine.
Well if a formosa could tackle a scud a monty could.

Bobby

Allright, I'll have to try! Is buying eggs with higher hatch rates worth the money? How long do cans last?

Today, I looked at my outside daphnia culture(which had been infested with hair algae in fall after 5 weeks of operation). I planned to let all the water evaporate to see if I could hatch any dormant cysts, but then it began to rain. My mom got my dad to move it out of the light and put a lid on it. That was January. Well, now the water was quite brown and the smell was pretty bad. There lots of wrigglers there, and I collected egg rafts and wrigglers for the hets before dumping all the stuff. I'm definelty going to rinse these out before feeding! Perhaps a less messy way for culture? Or some kinda attractant that smells less than old daphnia culture water.

BTW, do you keep any natives? I kinda lucked out today on an awesome deal. There was a tank with feeder ghost shrimp in it, and swimming in the tank was 1 heterandria formosa and 3 bluefin killies! I bought a dollar of ghost shrimp to justify asking the salesguy to catch the bluefins. He passed them off as feeder danios, and gave them to me at 10 cents each! Its possible I will put them in my little pond with a group of hets, as I heard they do better outside. Its hard to tell since they arent wearing breeding dress, but it appears I have 2 small males and one large female.

Needless to say, I will be carefully inspecting feeder tanks from now on!

Jimscott,
Thanks for the reply, sorry it's taking so long to answer you. My red-tailed fish was only about an inch long, but it died from an infection
sad.gif
. However I got a rainbow shark to replace it. It's very shy.
And hahaha Big Carnivour Kid, (it's actually Meg, I conned mom into it
tounge.gif
)

DizzyLizzy: What kind of infection was it? Did it have distended scales, like it looked "pregnant?" Or did have fin and or tail rot? Are you really related to Steve?

Ram Puppy,

I have not had an aquarium in ages, but some of my past favorites were:

freshwater stingray, named flapjack
fire eel-saw one the other day at Petco for $100! What the heck happened to the costs on those? I think they used to be under $30
clown Knife
shovelnose catfish-I had the black one, not the tiger

I think arrowanas(sp?) are cool too. I honestly thought they were from S. America, not Asia. I saw them on a program where they patrolled new areas where flodding occured and leaped out of the water to catch spiders and bugs on hanging vegetation.

Regards,

Joe

PS I like fancy goldfish, too

Eeekkk, I really ought to answer much more often. The fish's scales took on a really grayish look, not pregnate looking at all, found it kinda flopping limply on the bottom of the tank, died shortly after that. my other fish never had any problems though.
and yeah, Steve is one of the few relatives on that side of the family i'll claim, lol.

Unless that's a bad thing, then I have noooo idea who that guy is, never met him before, must've mistaken him for someone else. LOL
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ April 30 2004,10:46)]Ram Puppy,

I have not had an aquarium in ages, but some of my past favorites were:

freshwater stingray, named flapjack
 fire eel-saw one the other day at Petco for $100! What the heck happened to the costs on those? I think they used to be under $30
 clown Knife
 shovelnose catfish-I had the black one, not the tiger

I think arrowanas(sp?) are cool too. I honestly thought they were from S. America, not Asia. I saw them on a program where they patrolled new areas where flodding occured and leaped out of the water to catch spiders and bugs on hanging vegetation.

Regards,

Joe

PS I like fancy goldfish, too
wow... I used to have a fire eel... got it for 8 dollars at petco 4 years ago!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DizzyLizzy @ May 01 2004,11:47)]Unless that's a bad thing, then I have noooo idea who that guy is, never met him before, must've mistaken him for someone else. LOL
biggrin.gif
Good to hear from ya! Steve's cool! He was my first Trading Post contact and everything he sends to me does well. Two of his plants are in the process of blooming. We're also the same age - 47 , going on 18. Of course I haven't had the experience of being his sibling!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DizzyLizzy @ May 01 2004,9:47)]Unless that's a bad thing, then I have noooo idea who that guy is, never met him before, must've mistaken him for someone else. LOL
biggrin.gif
OOOOooohhhh! Sis! You're gonna pay for that!

laugh.gif

BCK

lol that's cool Jim. but isn't it more like 47 going on 13??
Ohhh and i got a dragonfish now!! It's really cool looking.
Hehehe and Steve, it's Meg, mwahhahahahaha!!!!!!!

Now wait a second! Let me get this straight. Betty is the mom - and Steve's sister - right? Meg is the daughter and neice? And there is yet another Allinger male sibling?
smile.gif

Back