What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Losses

I agree, all you need is a small airstone. I usualy use 1" air stones, unless there is a large fish in the tank like my Murray cod, where I use a 2" (5cm) ball to keep it on the bottom of the tank.

A cc is a Cubic Centimetre, about 16cc = a cubic inch. Unfortunatly America does not use standard scientific units and persists with Imperial measurements. A few years ago (and maybe still) America was the ONLY country in the world that did not use or was not changing to metric. Oh well I guess a few more space probes will have to crash into Mars before they change  
wink.gif
 I would feel that 1200cc/min would be ample.

The main use of an air stone is to get fresh air into a tank. A lot of the gasses produced by a tank like CO2 and methane etc. are heavier than air and will sit on the surface of the water reducing oxygen exchange. If you rely on something lke your hang on filter to oxygenate the water you can simply end up circulateing the stale air. If you have good air circulation and surface agetation, an air pump will make little difference but if you have cover glass or a hood on the tank I would strongly recomend an airpump.

If you arer cleaning your fileter every week I would feel this would be bad for the tank. Not so much the cleaning but the destroying of your filter bacteria. I would sugest adding some other filter media, like ceramic noodles some how
confused.gif

Also never forget that plants can be a very effective filter as some species feed directly of the ammonia produced by the fish reducing the bioload on your filters. I have a saying that if you set up a tank to grow plants well, you will have healthy fish! Do you have plants in your tank and if so are they growing well (growing well means that you have to remove excess plants on a regular bassis)?

Sounds like we are getting somewhere!
Best of luck,
George

Yes, I have a full hood on the tank. And no, I have no live plants in the tank, just extremely realistic silk ones
smile.gif
. BTW, I am about to install the bubble curtain... if it does nothing to improve the health of the tank, then oh well... it still looks reeeeaaaalll puuurrrrrrrrtyyyyy!!!!
wink.gif

I'll keep you updated,
                         FTG

If you have a hood on the tank I would strongly recomend an air pump! I would also recomend some hardy plants like Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus), Anubias barteri or spawning moss (Vesicularia dubyana). I dont know what names they would be sold under over there though.
smile.gif

George

actually, I *wouldnt* recommend any live plants!
live plants in an aquarium is a TOTALLY different aspect and direction to the hobby! you cant just plop 2 or 3 plants into a tank! they wont do well..they will just slowly die and mess up the tank even more..

to have a sucessfull planted aquarium you need to CRAM it with plants! Planted aquariums are VERY different from unplanted aquariums, and far more difficult! you need proper lighting, and a LOT of light! proper substrate (UGFs can not be used)
NO airstones with planted tanks! because they drive off the CO2, its a totally different direction to the hobby, and you cant just add a few plants to an already existing tank, it doesent work that way. and you need WAY more plants than fish! just figuring out how to properly beat algae takes about 2 years of learning!
biggrin.gif

plants are WAY more difficult than fish! much more demanding and much harder to keep happy.
the Algae battle is an endless nightmare..
going from a non-planted to a planted tank (live plants) is about the same jump as going from non-planted to salt water! they are really that different!

FTG, live plants in your tank would be a bad idea, just stick with your plastic plants for now!
if you want to get into planted tanks in the future, it would be best to build one from scratch..

the best way to think about a planted tank is something I read awhile back:

With a planted aquarium, you should NOT be thinking "I would like to add a few plants to my fish tank"
instead you need to be thinking "I would like to add a few fish to my plant tank!"
biggrin.gif

Scot

Hi FTG,

Are you going crazy yet with all the conflicting information? I have the feeling that if you simply do nothing but increase the frequency and amount of your partial water changes and vacuum your gravel well on each change that your underlying problems will disappear. The effect of water changes on tanks and their fish is amazing. The fish perk up almost instantly. They love the clean water. Today, I will change 80% of the water in all my (20) tanks. Most of these tanks only have jumbo old fashioned corner filters, although a few have Eheims or eclipse tops. All my tanks are full of plants. The plants are either in clay pots (like house plants), tied to driftwood or floating. They grow like weeds and algae is rarely if ever an issue. I use Coralife 10,000K bulbs on the tanks but I do not use as much light as one is suppose to use. Like on a 30 gallon tank, I will have one 30W bulb rather than 2 and the plants I grow do great. Why is this? Well, what is most often forgotten when plant tanks are the topic is that all the technology/theory of the planted aquarium that first appeared in Germany in the 1970's and finally became popular in the USA in the early 1990's is information geared toward an underwater garden made up of primarily stem (bunch) plants. The bunch plants (Myrio, Rotala, Cardimine, etc...) that are the common and cheap aqaurium plants are, in fact, the most difficult and demanding to grow. They need tons of light, CO2 if they are to have leaves over the whole stem and have the most algae problems. Of course, a tank with clumps of various stem plants looking beautiful is a glorious tank. But one can grow, crypts, anubias, vallisneria, criniums, java fern, java moss, water sprite, najas and sword plants with just one good light on a tank, a little fertilizer and water changes. These single rooted plants or floating plants are easy and adaptable. Plants do help filter the tank and keep it healthy and you should not be afraid of them because plant tank people overstress their requirements and problems. Buy a good bulb and try for at least one watt per gallon; leave it on 12 hours a day; get some liguid iron-based aquarium plant fertilizer; avoid stem (bunch) plants and you will have an underwater garden. One of the best algae preventions is floating plants and some of the basic aquatic cp's ( Utric. gibba) are great, fast growing floating plants!

Bobby

I find it interesting, the 'don't grow plants they are to hard', line. I had a friend work in a shop in America (New York) while on a holiday (oops don't tell anyone
wow.gif
). He was Horrorfied by the industries attitude towards plants. The shop sold many more plastic plants than live, and people who bought the live plants bought them as throw away items! They had been told they are to hard to bother with. Within a few months live plant sales had gone through the roof, simply because he gave people a little bit of information, like what species to or not to buy! The best bit was the customers were happy because thier tanks ran better with active plant growth.

Here in Australia, we tend to NOT grow plants in tank as the EXCEPTION. It is a misconception that all plants are hard to grow, SOME plants are hard to grow, some are very easy. I used to grow water sprite, java fern and spawning moss in all my tanks. Never more than one tube per tank, never fertlized, just left them to it. I quickly learnt that the tanks with plants had healthier fish.

Remember, if you try to keep fish in a sterile or unbalanced environment they will usualy be unhealthy and get sick easily. You need to try and make an ecosystem, and plants are an important part of most ecosystems.

My recomendation is that if the shop you go to can't tell you how to grow plants CHANGE SHOPS!!!!!! The absolute most you should have to buy is a new tube and maybe a bottle of fertlizer. If you want a Dutch tank, that is something different!

If you can keep a VFT alive...

I am more than happy to talk via email if you want indepth information.
George

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (biggun110 @ July 04 2003,11:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi FTG,

Are you going crazy yet with all the conflicting information?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yyyyyyyup! LOL...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (biggun110 @ July 04 2003,11:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The fish perk up almost instantly.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

You've got that soooooooooo right!!! The exact same day I did the water change, all the fish started swimming aorund alot more and being more active! I have two dojo loaches, and one of them almost always stays in the little castle, but even this one is out twice as much now!!! Also, this morning, I woke up to see the huuuuuuge spotted/striped cory, Goliath, having a ball with the bubble curtain! LOL!
tounge.gif
wow.gif
He would sit on one end of the stone and let the bubbles push him to the top of the tank, then he'd go behind the bubbles and swim back down, then let the bubbles push him back up, and so on for hours! LOL!
rolleyes.gif

I never said "don't grow plants they are to hard"
I said plants are hardER than fish, and thats undeniable.
I also said you cant add one or three plants into an established unplanted tank and expect them to do well..thats also undeniable.
I also said if you want to do a planted tank, its a totally different mindset and experience than a nonplanted tank..
just telling the truth.
you cant just "buy plants and stick them in any old tank"..
which was the advice it seemed FTG was getting..
I never said "dont try"..
I said "there is a LOT more you need to know before you try!"
yes its difficult, yes its complicated, yes it can be learned!
but there is a lot to know.
how many people know you should absolutely NOT have an airstone in a planted tank? probably not many..

adding live plants is simply *not* the solution to FTG's current tank problems..thats all im trying to say.
all she has to do is increase the water change frequency!
thats all..

Scot

Sorry Scot I didn't meant to say that this was what you were saying. I think I worded that badly
sad.gif
But rather this is a line I have heared many times over the years.

I was talkiing to my friend just before and he said the big problem he saw in the US was that a lot of tanks dont have proper lighting over them. Some setups still use incandecent bulbs, and the ones that come with fluros often have non-aquarium tubes!

To top it all off he said a lot of the plants he saw for sale were not even aquatic!! Imagine someone selling you a VFT for your fish tank
mad.gif

If this is the stiuation I can see why plants could be a problem. But if you have a good light, plants will grow. The trick is to get the right plant. I consider, minimum light of a full lenght fluro over your tank.

If you meet this requirement you will be able to grow some pants. If you can grow (green) algae you can grow plants.

Sorry if I offended anyone but these are my honest thoughts on the matter.

If you have further questions try this site;

http://pub64.ezboard.com/bboroniaaquariuminteractivepages

Regards
George

Well, they're doing much better now. No more deaths, except for the death many weeks ago of my leopard cory
sad.gif
. But now all are healthy and thriving, and I GOT TWO GLASS CATS! they're just under two inches long and VERY healthey, and voracious eaters!!!
rolleyes.gif

Back