What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baby Zebra Danios

trashcan

O:-)
zebra_danio_baby.jpg

Isn't he/she adorable? I found them in an empty aquarium that had temporarily housed some Zebra Danios. I saw at least six! They are VERY tiny!

My first egg hatchings!

Cool! I always wished my Danios would successfully produce a brood. Are you feeding them anything special?

Hi Trashcan,

Great photo! Good luck with the babies.
Nathan, if you want zebra fry, put a pair in a 2 and 1/2 gallon tank filled with plants for a few days after you have conditioned them well. Take them out after 2 or 3 days and wait. You should get babies in a few days.

Bobby

D. muscipula: Probably yours have bred in the past, but the babies were eaten (if the adults are mature).

As for feeding.. I'm trying very finely crushed flakes and crushed microworms, not sure if they are eating it.

Hi Trashcan,

Take a spoon and really turn the food into a powder. Hikari makes a great fry food called First Bites. You can boil an egg and take just the yoke and blend it with a little water in a blender. Then take an eyedropper and feed a few drops to the fry. Keep the mix in the frig. Don't overfeed as the yoke can spoil the water. Rainbow breeders use a food called ARP -- artificial rotifer something -- that is very tiny but I don't know who sells it. Decapped brine shrimp eggs are great and <brineshrimpdirect.com> sells them at a relatively low price.

Bobby

I thnk its APR, artificial plankton rotifers....but I don't know who sells it either!

An easy way to get larger numbers of fry(I use zebra danio fry as an occasional treat for some of the other fish) is to get a larger net with holes larger enough for the eggs to go through(Eggs are about 1 mm in diameter). Feed them good foods for about a week, and in the evening introduce them to the tank. In the morning, as the sun rises and light is cast on the tank, they will start to spawn(you can also cover em like caged birds and let the light in at a time of your convenience).

The eggs fall throguh the holes in the net. I've been able to hatch about 100 this way.

Thanks everyone for the tip. I tried using a spoon to crush the flakes even more finely, and will try to pick up some liquifry tomorrow.

Pat

Back