What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEW old KILLIFISH

HI,

I just got 2 pairs of a killifish I never thought I'd see again. It is now known as Scriptoaphyosemion liberiensis but was once a separate species from liberiensis known as "Roloffia calabarica". A scientist in the 1960's lumped the 2 species together although many feel they are 2 different species -- I am one of those. Anyway, this fish was collected from an unknown location (probably Liberia or Sierre Leone) by a German sailor in 1935 and brought to Germany. They managed to survive WWII -- INCREDIBLY -- in Germany and made it to the USA in the late 1940's. They were uncommon but kept by killie fanciers until the early 1980's when they were thought lost to the hobby -- partly due to the scientist who lumped them with other liberiensis types. Friends and I were discussing this lost gem a few years ago when I got an email from a San Francisco hobbyist with a picture. There was the lost "calabarica"!!! He had it. It seems while it had disappeared in the USA and Europe a few guys in Frisco had managed to keep it going without realizing it was "calabarica". The Fricso strain came from Herr Roloff himself, a famous German killifish aquarist who had kept the fish from 1935 until 1969 when he brought it to a friend in California. So, we now have the rare old species slowly circulating through the hobby again and they are direct descendents from the one and only importation of 1935. Imagine that this fish has survived on one importation, inbreeding and war and is still going strong 65 years later. I love it.
"Calabarica" is a slim species about 2 inches long with the males having a deep rich blue green body covered with ruby red blotches, spots and stripesand with a caudal fin edged with canary yellow on the top and bottom. The female is tan with lots of brown marks all over the body and a neat little small round spot where the top of the caudal fin meets the body.
I hope I can breed them. They will ahve a 30 gallon tank to themselves full of plants and soft acid water. They fry should be ok with the adults. I hope to do my part in redistributing this gorgeous little legendary gem.

Bobby

Gota love killifish!!

We had a killie meet at a guys house and at the end of the meeting he grabbed some 'plague' killifish to feed to his lion fish. He was useing a species that was extinct in the country except for what he was breeding as feeder fish!! As you can imagine there was an assortment of explitives used as people realised what he was dropping into his marine tank!

George

Congrats Bobby!  Good luck!!!!

PHOTOS!!!

Hi D,

Go to this site: <http://www.killifish.f9.co.uk/Killifish/Killifish Website/Index.htm> and click on "Genera" then click on "Scriptoaphyosemion" and then click on "Scripto. liberiensis". Look at the photo there by Tony Terceira of the 1973-74 AKA strain of liberiensis -- that deep blue and red fish is "calabarica". Mine look exactly like that. If you look under "Genera" again and go to "Fundulopanchax" and then to "Fundulo. fallax". Look at the photos of the orange and yellow morphs. Those look like my fallax as I have both types. This is a great killie site. Hopefully, I can get photos. I need my friend to come over with his camera.

Bobby

I'm thinking about joing a Killiefish organization. I hear there is one in Naperview, IL. I was wondering if anyone belong into the society. I basically don't know anything about Killiefish, tried acquiring some, but I guess petstores don't have them.

Also, I was wondering, what are the points of socieities. I never joined any yet. And I wanted to join a couple such as, Reptiles, Aquarist, And the KillieFIsh =D.

Hi DKim128,

The Chicago Killifish Association is a great small club with some excellent breeders and would be a good source of neat and inexpensive fish. Its members are all over the Chicago area. I would definitely check them out. Membership requires little more than showing up with an interest in the fish. Killie guys are as into their fish as CPers are their plants. The whole meeting should be easy, welcoming and fun. The CKA has a web site and there is a link to it on the American Killifish Association webpage.

Bobby

Bobby

Back