What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

zebra striped fish

Hi all, i was wondering if anyone knew of any fresh water zebra striped fish. I ask because it is for an art project, long story, not going to go in to it now. I was wondering if there were any zebra striped fish that would do well in a 2-3(maybe 4) gallon custom made aquarium. It can be small, but if so it needs to be a social fish that does well in a group. The hardy the fish the better.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Ktulu

The zebra danio is one most likely the one being referred to. It is inexpensive, somewhat colorful, small, active, and hardy. Every pet shop that sells fish has them. Fish similar and related are: golden, leopard, long fin.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Feb. 02 2004,18:49)]The zebra danio is one most likely the one being referred to. It is inexpensive, somewhat colorful, small, active, and hardy. Every pet shop that sells fish has them. Fish similar and related are: golden, leopard, long fin.
Don't forget everything in between.

There are giant, giant longfin, longfin zebras, gold, gold zebra, gold leopard, blue, blue longfin (which i'm really really after, saw it once now it's gone.), there are even red neon glow zebra's and green neon glow zebra's.

I personally have a golden leopard, zebra long fin, and a red neon glow zebra. The green ones are way too much money at the moment, especially for a danio.

Also lets not forget other striped fish!
Theres the recently discoverd hypancistrus zebra, a boldly colord catfish with striking black and white stripes. Another zebra striped catfish (his one gets HUGE) is the royal pelc. Also yet another catfish, this one midwater swimming, is Affrican debauwi cat. There scooling fish, so dont buy them singily or in pairs.Theres also the convict cichlid, striped barb, and tiger barb

To bad none of the above are suitable for a 4 gallon aquarium. The least I'd reccomend for zebra danios is 10-20 gallons...they are to hyper and even in a ten look cramped. Of course its okay for temp display though, but you had better have a lid lest they jump out in frustration.

If you could find baby zebra danios labeled as feeders, that would be a little better at least while they are small.

Giant Danios are a different species and grow much larger(5-6 inches)....suitable only for 40+ gallon tanks.

Also, keep in mind we are talking about an art project, so a 90 dollar fish will not fill this bill.

I think some little danios (babys) would be fine in a 4 to 5 gallon tank for a while. but only for a while.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Vertigo @ Feb. 03 2004,08:23)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Feb. 02 2004,18:49)]The zebra danio is one most likely the one being referred to. It is inexpensive, somewhat colorful, small, active, and hardy. Every pet shop that sells fish has them. Fish similar and related are: golden, leopard, long fin.
Don't forget everything in between.

There are giant, giant longfin, longfin zebras, gold, gold zebra, gold leopard, blue, blue longfin (which i'm really really after, saw it once now it's gone.), there are even red neon glow zebra's and green neon glow zebra's.

I personally have a golden leopard, zebra long fin, and a red neon glow zebra.  The green ones are way too much money at the moment, especially for a danio.
those neon glow zebras are FAKE.
ghostface.gif
i mean, the glow isn't real, its injected in the fish! its really cruel because the ink that is injected eventually starts to (literally!) rot the entrails from the inside out!
sad.gif
#### pet stores!
mad.gif

Spec you are confusing your fish.

THe Painted Glass fish is the one that is injected with die, maybe other fish have been as well, but that is the only one I really know of.

The Glo Fish ™ is a Zebra fish that has been altered at the genetic level by the insertion of a sea anemone gene at the 'egg' stage. The fish are (supposedly) sterile and glow under a black light.

I've seen painted tri-color sharks and glass cats. I guess if it is transluscent, transparent or otherwise dull-looking - it gets painted.

it is disgusting. Along with protecting the habitat of CP's, I wish the US would ban the import and creation of 'painted' fish.

Back