What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sitting goldfish

• Thread starter Papatoad
  • Start date
I've had a goldfish for about 5 years. She regularly "sits" or lays on the bottom. My friend told me she has a bad air bladder. Any truth to this. She "I think" is a fancy tail. Any information or tips would greatly set my mind at ease. By the way. How long can I expect her to live? What is their normal life expectancy? Thanks. Glen

Thje warmer the fish the more active it is. conversely, the cooler it is the less active it is. She would probably love it if you had the opportunity to have a larger fish tank, complete with air pump, tubing, and filter. Warmer temps also mean higher metabolism rate and more demand for dissolved oxygen. Fancy goldfish and guppies / male bettas alike are usually dragging their tails!

With tail she is about 5 inches. She lives in the basement. Average temp is about 65 deg F. I had the filter and air pump when I first set up, but the pump went bad and I gave up on it. I change 1/3 water every couple months and put her in a new aquarium that sits for a week or so before hand every 6-8 months. This allows me to clean gravel more thoroughly and scrub tank with salt to clean glass. She lives in a 10 gal aquarium. I have a twenty gal but seems like alot of work to maintain.  Do they grow to the size of the aquarium?

A 20 gallon isn't a significant additional load to bear. I'm not sure that she will grow much more, but she will certainly be more comfortable. The larger the tank, the more stable it is. I would look into getting another pump. It's an added stressor if the there is less dissolved oxygen and if the water is cloudy. Then she is more susceptible do diseases.

I set up the 20 gal. It's been sitting a couple of days. Might let it set a few more. It has a filter on it. But it is a filter unlike I've ever used before. It mounts on the side of the tank. I am used to using the undergravel filter. Anyway. Gotta buy more gravel and get a siphon that reaches the bottom. I got this tank from an old neighbor who was throwing it out. Has hood & light and a filter that I need to take to petsmart or something and figure out how to use it. Well, thanks for the kick in the butt to get it moving,but I think my fish will be much happier now.
biggrin.gif

My goldfish is doing fine. I thought she was in death thralls but I think the extra oxygen is giving her more energy. She swims like a rocket now. Her tail does not droop, and I have not seen her sit for very long,if at all on the bottom. Thanks for giving me the push for the bigger tank. She is a changed fish.

Back