Likes Likes:  0
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Updates on the ivory montys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

I will send next Sat. Shoot me your address again even though I think I have it.

Not sure on the package. Just keep expecting it.

I store blackworms in the crisper of my frig. I take an eight by eight plastic leftovers container that is 4 inches high and I poke many tiny pin holes in the top. I keep the worms inside in just enough de-chlorinated water to barely cover them. I wash them daily in ice cold de-chlorinated water -- very important. They last for weeks. I will store 1/2 pound like this. A friend just uses an old ice chest with freezer packs around the worm container to keep it cool and he rotates the freezer packs every day. His wife is anti-worms in the frig. Clean, cold, shallow water is the key.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good. Tell me when they are sent. If you want you can toss in an extra female as protection against Murphys law.

My mom would never give up crisper space for a container of worms...guess I will be stuck with my current method.

Here is a pic of Fp. gardneri Mamfese

http://www.killi.co.uk/graphics/mamfensis.jpg

Nice fish, but as far as gardneri goes I would be willing to settle for Misaje, Makurdi, or perhaps N'sukka...which seems less coloful than the others.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the package, and am quite impressed! Apparently someone was playing secret Santa...

Some questions...

I received 4 bags total, 2 of kafuensis and 2 of orthonotus...have you kept orthonotus before? Funny, the Chunga are scheduled to hatch within 3 days of my birthday! The kafuensis are coded with 4 stars and the orthonotus 3.

Edit: Even through the bag, I could spot eggs in most of them. I shook the chunga one around to look just in case. They aren't covered in debris or as small as I expected...and are an amber color. They are much smaller than A. lineatus eggs though! LOL

Also, what guidelines would you give for keeping populations seperate? I'm kinda unsure if I would be able to spot a Mambova if it jumped over into, say, a tank which I kept Chunga.

I haven't done much research on orthonotus, but I'm thinking it would be in the best interests of the 2 locations if I sent/traded one bag to someone with facilities for them. Perhaps I could trade them for some kind of Fundulopanchax or other fish for my 46.
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Nflytrap @ Oct. 28 2004,8:28)]
    Hi N,

Quote[/b] ]
    I got the package, and am quite impressed! Apparently someone was playing secret Santa...

Yep! And it seems Bob gave you even more than I asked him to.

Quote[/b] ]
    I received 4 bags total, 2 of kafuensis and 2 of orthonotus...have you kept orthonotus before? Funny, the Chunga are scheduled to hatch within 3 days of my birthday! The kafuensis are coded with 4 stars and the orthonotus 3.

I forget what Bob's 4 stars mean. I think its the # of eggs -- more stars means more eggs. I had 2 forms of orthonotus years ago. They were hardy easy fish to keep. The secret with Nothos is live food, clean water, breeding in slightly soft acid water but keeping and raising in hard alkaline, peat moss, storage at the right moisture level and temp. It sounds tough but it is easy. Nothos are the prettiest, boldest and easiest annuals. Just watch the males fighting. I thought you could hatch 2 forms of kafuensis and decide what you like and orthonotus can be a big strong neat red fish. Your LFS should like the extras. Now you can really set up your fishroom rack!

Quote[/b] ]
    Edit: Even through the bag, I could spot eggs in most of them. I shook the chunga one around to look just in case. They aren't covered in debris or as small as I expected...and are an amber color. They are much smaller than A. lineatus eggs though! LOL

Yes, they are and if you can see them so easily then there are MANY in the peat! Expect large hatches. Have green water, a good grown of java moss and bbs ready when you are ready to hatch.

Quote[/b] ]
    Also, what guidelines would you give for keeping populations seperate? I'm kinda unsure if I would be able to spot a Mambova if it jumped over into, say, a tank which I kept Chunga.

Just keep the tanks well covered and never mix the females as they all look exactly alike. There is no other way. Nothos jump so you want good covers anyway. You know you can buy the big plastic steralite storage containers to raise fry -- 10-20 gallons but 10 gallon tanks are better. Start checking gargage sales, junk/antique/furniture stores, the Salvation Army, trash days, leakers at fishstores that can be resealed. One can find free tanks with a little effort. Killies are easy as they just need water, a corner filter, an air pump going slow, some cover and a tank cover and you can raise the fry.

Quote[/b] ]
    I haven't done much research on orthonotus, but I'm thinking it would be in the best interests of the 2 locations if I sent/traded one bag to someone with facilities for them. Perhaps I could trade them for some kind of Fundulopanchax or other fish for my 46.
    Feel free to trade them off for Fundulopanchax. I have the small arnoldi if you want those for the 46.

Oh, yes 2 males and 3 females of the Mambova are on the way to you and should arrive Monday or Tuesday. Feed them alot of chopped blackworms at first to help them settle in. Keep the water current very low from the corner filter as fast water will cause Notho "fade". Give them plant cover.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great! How are your arrivals doing?

Someone on the mailing list really wants the orthonotus-he has a pair of blue gularis but fry eating would be a problem. He also has several other Notho species-the ones that stood out were N. kilomberensis, N. fuliminantis(sp.) and N. palmqvisti.

3 stars means 36-100....4 stars means 100-500 ...those are pretty big ranges! LOL

I picked up 2 rubbermaids yesterday-gonna have to invent some kind of makeshift lid for them...LOL The fry jump too I assume? I have the fry tubs on the very bottom which allows them to be quickly moved under the rack when guests are over and then pull out for inspection/maintenance. So far, it has worked well for a few newt larvae i'm raising.

I will keep an eye open on the Mambova.

How do you care for the eggs? I have been watching them and added a tiny dampened paper towel for added moisture.

Again, thanks for all this! You've been a great friend and an invaluable help.
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edit: I took a few photos of the eggs that were on the outside-are these anything to worry about. I would think they would work well as indicator eggs as to when it may be time to hatch etc. etc.

N. kafuensis Kayuni 97/9

N. orthonotus Nhangau MT 03-4
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

My pleasure helping. People helped me in the killie hobby when I started.

The kilomberensis is a great species and easy. The gularis might be a good population control once you have a good 1-2 inch crop of monty fry. I'd get the gularis and try. They are so lovely and showy and get to know you like cichlids.

The eggs only require checking for moisture and the 74-78 F temp. Check them once a week. Pinching a tiny bit between the fingers and feeling moisture is a good sign. Leaving those eggs on the outside is a good indicator but these species incubation periods are pretty well known in the correct temp. range. Leave air in the bag. Just sit back and wait.

Didn't the rubbermaids come with tops? Just drill holes in those. The fry jump less and you can keep the water level lower -- 4 inches below the top.

All my new guys are doing great -- getting fat. I must have 50 of the picta. The Limias have already dropped a few fry. They make great dither fish for the shy lacortei.

The egg pics are great. I need you here to photograph all my stuff!

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heheh...I wouldn't say that i'm any good at photography-just that I've got a camera that works well enough. You also have to know the fish-like where it is going to go while the camera is delaying the shot .

The Mambova arrived today. You mentioned they were "Red Form" but they show quite a bit of blue also. Even when they haven't colored up completely, they are great lookers and I'm impressed with the size on the 2 males! The larger female arrived dead-thats Murphys law in action I guess. I havesome photos of em...but they aren't all that impressive. I saw one female showing interest in the blackworms, but so far haven't seen anyone feeding. They also seem easily spooked by light changes. One of the males seems to spend a lot of time nosing around in the thin sand with his body almost vertical. Is that normal? This one is clearly the dominant male, kinda unevenly sized match! Should I use a divider to split the 2?

Also, my so call "rubbermaids" are actually called "dishpans". They are about 5 inches deep and rectangular. Providing I can fashion a good lid, then They'll be in business.
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis