What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next generation of kribs

My kribensis (Pelvicachromis pulcher) left their cave yesterday with a new brood following them. The fry are soooo cute, and it's amazing to watch the parents protect them.

Out of curiosity, i watched what happened today after the lights went out. The mother picked up the little guys, a couple or three at a time- in her mouth! - and carried them into the cave. I've never read about this behavior in kribs before. It was the coolest thing i've ever seen my fish do.

Well, that's it for now...

Not to sure how much reading you have done...
smile_m_32.gif
I've heard about this and my own pair would bed the babies down every night. I think my pair didn't show very strong parental instincts as they didn't dig any pits for the wigglers...they just hid them in the flowerpot...which was a bit dissapointing as I had been wanting to see that. However, watching the female communicate with the fry is very interesting. Many books state that the patterns on the pectoral fins are used to communicate messages to fry. Should you startle them in some way, she will often shake her body and the young will drop to the bottom. After a while, they will rise a little, staying in a very tight ball. I've noticed that when they get older they tend to wander away more...and I've also seen the female "stash" fry behind rocks and next to plastic plants(this was like 2 years ago). I have no idea why she does that as it seems she just left them for predators to eat! They didn't obey either! They tumbled around and looked for food until recall. I had to remove them when they spawned in the 46 gallon bowfront and did some serious damage to the other occupants. I lost a female golden wonder killifish to injuries and a missing eye.

That is awesome! Keep us updated on everything that happens. The fry are probably so cute!
smile_n_32.gif

Back