What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ick

Ick is a really common sickness. I know I had my share of outbreaks. Fortunately there are really good medication.  
smile.gif

What I want to know is, how can we all prevent ick from killing more of our innocent fish?  
confused.gif

In a properly maintained tank, you should most likely never get it. If your fish get ich a lot, then usually something is stressing them. Could be water temp, dirty water, over loaded fish load, aggressive fish stressing less aggressive fish, that sort of things.

As Elgecko states, stress is the biggest problem. This comes from overcrowding and/or fluctuating temperatures. When tropical fish are shipped, the shipping box normally says it is ~70 degrees, which is 5->10 degrees cooler than most fish tanks. Stable conditions and fewer fish will go a long way toward prevention.

How do you treat a scaleless fish for ick?

I don't remember, but I do remember seeing information on bottles of ich remedy, dealing with scaleless fish. It may be that it was to use half dosage for them.

jimscott is right. Usually it is half dosage, but there are special ick medicine for scaleless fish
smile.gif

-Thanks for the input guys, but we also need to be careful when we introduce new fish or plants, they might bring ick into your aquarium. Quarantine tanks are often suggested before introducing new fish or plants.

I used to work for a tropical fish wholesaler. We saw fish come in from all over the world. We could receive 200 or 300 platys or mollies in a bag and the fish could be in route for days. All bags are pumped with oxygen and all have some preventative medication in it. When we sent fish out to pet shops, we did the same thing, only on a significantly smaller scale and for much less time. Usually we had our fish sent in some furazone green. Ich and bacterial infections are what is in mind.

Thats really good! There are people, like you, looking out for us.
smile.gif

Unfortunately, some pet store owners recieve fish, don't take good care and they get sick.
smile_h_32.gif

Uneducated people buy the fish and infect their tank.
smile_h_32.gif

I just remember when I visited this pet store, all the fish were sick. Imagine a kid bugging their parent for a fish, who seems fine to an uneducated eye. Then the parent buys the fish and then it dies!

We just need to be careful, but there are really good pet stores that take care of their fish.

Good thing there are people like you, who take extra precautions
smile.gif

I doubt that you can actually keep ick out of an aquarium. It is there, just waiting for something to stress the fish out.

The bottom line of the matter is to do whatever it takes to reduce their stress, whether it be from understocking your tank, slightly underfeeding the fish, and keeping temperatures stable. One more comment on preventative medications: They are only meant to be temporary, for shipping purposes. We tried as best we could to wean them from the meds as quickly as possible and only have a cursory concentration when we bag them. Fish on medication is like cp's grown indoors. Do it when necessary, but toughen them to the real world as soon as possible.

Yup, I agree with everyone
smile.gif

I found this product, maybe you heard of it. Its by Aquarium Pharm and its called Stress Coat

It replaces the natural slime coating fish need in times of stress, such as handling, shipping or fighting. Has Aloe Vera to prevent the loss of essential electrolytes and protect damaged tissue against disease-causing organisms. Helps heal torn fins and skin wounds. Use when setting up aquarium, changing water, or adding fish.

Also it instantly removes chlorine and chloramines, making tap water safe for fish. Neutralizes heavy metals.

They have really great products

http://www.aquariumpharm.com/

smile.gif
smile.gif

I use it, but not as much as they suggest. I kinda doubt aloe vera actually benefits the fish.

But it is dechlorinator.

Nflytrap

Have you used it as they suggest with negative effects?
confused.gif

We have a pond outside with gold fish, and in the winter, we take them out and put them in an aquarium and they all died because of ick, and i bought tons of medication too.
smile_h_32.gif

Back