What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discus with

Hey everyone

I was talking to someone and he said he's planning to get discus. I was very happy for him. I asked him what tank is he going to put his discuses. He said in a 55 gallon tank with neons and other tetras.

I said I dont think thats a good idea. The Discuses might eat the neons. But then again I dont really know.

Are small tetras like neons compatible with Discuses?

What do you all think?

I dont want him to kill his precious neons but then again it MIGHT be safe.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

The biggest problem with neons and discus is that neons like cooler water 74F as opposed to "hot blooded" discus. Discus can eat neons and cardinals but often do not bother them at all. It's an individual thing. Cardinals like it hot, get bigger and so do better with discus. Wild discus are more prone to eating little tetras. If the discus and tetras grow up together that would be best

Bobby

Like biggun110 said, neons like cooler water temps. Cardinals can take the higher heat and also a little bigger then neons.

About the only thing the have in common is the soft, acid water.

Back