What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

As per request (fish dye)

I was told that a number of users here do not believe that some (alot) of fish are dyed. I figure i would comment on this, show proof, and possible answer all questions.

dyed fish list

http://www.deathbydyeing.org/colormedead.htm

What can you do to stop it?

http://www.deathbydyeing.org/truecolors.htm

Please visit the link in my signature for more information

How is the dye applied?
Intrigued as to how the dye was applied we decided to carry out a little research. A few coloured glassfish were sedated in MS222 anaesthetic and observed under a binocular microscope. It became apparent that the dye is not on the surface of the fish, but lay under the epidermis.

Furthermore, the dye appeared fluid and could be moved slightly by gently squeezing the coloured area.

This suggested that it must have been injected into the fish at various sites over the body in order to form the distinctive colour patterns. Our fears were confirmed a few years later when we were shown photographs of the colouring process, revealing that each fish is individually injected using a syringe and needle.

The practice of dye injection is undertaken by fish farmers in some regions of Asia (but not Singapore as far as we know). Clearly, the common name “painted glassfish” is a cruelly misleading description.

If one considers the relative bore size of the injection needle with that of a glassfish, it would be the equivalent of us receiving several jabs using a needle of pencil-sized diameter - not a pleasant thought.

As experienced fish scientists, we would never dream of injecting fish of such small size. No wonder the injection process is alleged to cause high mortalities.

Increasing the risk of disease...
A survey which we carried out in the south of England revealed that over 40% of painted glassfish appeared to be suffering from lymphocystis virus. This disease manifests itself as a small whitish growths on the fish’s body and fins.

An examination of the white growths under the powerful electron microscope confirmed our diagnosis. In contrast, less than 10% of the natural (unpainted) glassfish had lymphocystis.

It is possible that the injection process increases the risk of this disease, perhaps by transmitting the virus from fish to fish via the needle (the same needle is used to inject tens or even hundreds of fish).

Alternatively, the stress of being injected with the dye may lower the fish’s natural immunity to lymphocystis. It must be said that, in our experience, those glassfish which survive the injection process go on to live fairly normal lives, despite the gaudy dyes present within their bodies. In time, the dye fades.

Moral issue
Many people believe that fish do not feel pain and so injecting them with dyes is perfectly acceptable. In fact, increasing scientific evidence suggests that fish are indeed capable of feeling pain, though we have no way of telling whether they perceive painful events in the same way as we do.

So dye injection is likely to be a painful experience for the poor glassfish. In fairness, many traders and hobbyists were mislead, just as we first were, into thinking that these fish were simply painted with the dye.
Now that the truth is out, it’s time to stop this cruel practice, once and for all.

The PFK Ban Dyed Fish Campaign

Practical Fishkeeping ran an award-winning campaign which started in 1996 and asked aquatic retailers to sign a pledge that they would not sell dyed fish. The majority of British retailers signed up and dyed fish are now relatively uncommon in the UK

!!!NOW ITS OUR TURN TO BAN DYED FISH IN AMERICA!!!

Good Topic. I hope thats enough proof for some of you I had conversations with about this
smile.gif

This really is a sick thing and should be illegal... Unfortunately if someones rich, they can pretty much do what they wish these days... These dye companies aren't in it for the fish, all they view it as is more money. Sure, its JUST a 50 cent fish. BUT, it's a LIVING animal, and should be respected as such. Just because you can win one at the fair doesnt make it indispensable!
mad.gif

I have had countless arguments with the big pet organisations (Petsmart, Petco, etc). They just ignore me. But I've talked to many LFS owners, and realising what cruelty these "wonderful colorful fish" succumb do, many immediately ceased distributing them. If we could just get more people to open their eyes and take a look at this, we could EASILY have it banned! Sure, in the future scientists might find a new, safer way to dye, that doesnt harm the fish. But right now it's not an option. It must stop now.

Please, make time to visit your LFS and talk with the owners about it. I'm sure once they realise what happens to these fish, they also will stop distributing them. Sure, you might get words put in your mouth a few times, and thrown out of the store (
laugh.gif
) but it's worth it!

Cheers,

-Spec

I don't think they even look good. They look like someone's injected dye into them.

It's not like you can't find real colorful fish out there! I don't "get" these things at all.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It's not like you can't find real colorful fish out there!

you can, but there hard to find and very expensive. However if you venture into salt water, finding very colorful fish is easy to do. and
P.S they arent dyed
smile.gif

There are many cichlids with pretty good colors, just not "glow in the dark"
smile.gif

Having worked at a wholesaler some years back, I have seen many painted glassfish, glass cats, and even tricolor sharks. No they don't last long. They "chip" after a few months. What was that one topic about the zebra danio that glows but is used for detection of something?

ive talked to petsmart about their dyed glassfish a few years ago. they where quite responsible and stopped selling them. the problem is, the stopped selling the undyed ones too, so now i cant find any around. i find that walmart sells a large host of dyed tetras, so beware. Zongyi

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jstutman @ Sep. 18 2004,12:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It's not like you can't find real colorful fish out there!

you can, but there hard to find and very expensive. However if you venture into salt water, finding very colorful fish is easy to do. and
P.S they arent dyed
smile.gif
I would completely disagree with that statement. Colorful fish are everywhere, and people have different tastes. Its pretty hard, IMHO, to beat a flaring M. opercularis for patterning and "shock and awe" as far as petstore fish are concerned. Add the lesser known fish and you can rival and match saltwater.

Panchax are very colorful, just a bit more diffeicult to get hold of. I still stand by fancy guppies and the other typical livebearers as well as Anabantoids. They are prety, cheap, and easy to care for - not to mention easy to propogate.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Sep. 19 2004,3:26)]Panchax are very colorful, just a bit more diffeicult to get hold of. I still stand by fancy guppies and the other typical livebearers as well as Anabantoids. They are prety, cheap, and easy to care for - not to mention easy to propogate.
you talk about them as if they're PLANTS
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I've been in plant mode for awhlie, now!

Besides, most people around here talk about their plants like they're people (myself included) so it's only natural to talk about fish as if they were plants...... I think......
biggrin.gif

The dyeing of fish is ridiculous, the fact that it weakens and kills the fish alone is bad enough, the fact that it's not usually mentioned on the tanks of these poor specimens is a good clue that it's a "secret" best kept from the unsuspecting public (like GM foods, which are supposedly "difficult/impossible" to label in the exact same way, it seems)

Thanks for starting this thread, sad as it is to think about, not knowing is worse.....
There are plenty of colourful fishes already, as many here have said... what's next, painted turtles that are actually painted??? maybe Nike could look into that one, ethics don't seem to be a problem for them
biggrin.gif

this is way wrong, but i totally support the glowing zebra danios. these are so awesome! they are GM so they dont feel a thing. i think it's awesome.

I dislike glowfish, as it takes away from the natural beauty of fish. Kids these days will probably expect all fish to be neon and glow like that, not exactly admiring the beauty of what has already been so generously provided.

Back