What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bbshrimps

Hi L,

Nice set up and process there. Have you checked out brineshrimpdirect.com yet? Great company and great bs eggs.

Bobby

Well if I ever run out, looks like a good source to get some quality eggs.

I just collected the Brine Shrimp using my collection method:
Collecting%20Brine%20Shrimp.JPG

Here are my fry eating it just now:
Labidochromis%20Fry%20Eating.jpg

Seems like they love it!
smile_n_32.gif

Looks to be a very successful artemia hatch! I agree-nothing seems to excite fry more than the jumping of brine shrimp.

WOW what a hatch! How many tsp. of eggs did you put in the solution?

Well I got 2 nets from brineshrimpdirect and a copy of their artemia book... I am not very satisfied.. They sent them in a old used box that was falling apart when it got here and once piece of tape. AND the two nets I bought are PENN PLAX - which are the EXACT nets I bought and the EXACT type that I had and didnt work the other day
smile_h_32.gif
Could it be the first one I had was a defect? And they bent the net handles in two to get them in the box...

Im not impressed.. I assumed they were NON Penn Plax nets
smile_h_32.gif

Win some you loose some I guess. Book looks nice though.

Leslie:

so the shrimp swim out of the black box through the small hole into the collection cup, when your ready you just turn over the cup and you have the shrimp?

Amazing!

Yea, and the water is not salty, and is the same water from the baby tank.

I used the San Fran premix for this hatch, it is premixed with salt and eggs. I added a pinch of baking soda to bring the ph up. But I have made my own mix before with the eggs I got off eBay and have had similiar if not better results.

The collection cup picture shows only 1/10 of the shrimp that hatched. I can collect more each time. Just let them swim up. They are attacted to the light.

Hi maylandi,

Call them and complain as that is very odd. They are usually a first rate company and high on customer service. Talk to them. Check Jehmco.com for nets too -- also a good supplier.

Bobby

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LESLIEx317537 @ June 15 2005,11:34)]Yea, and the water is not salty, and is the same water from the baby tank.

I used the San Fran premix for this hatch, it is premixed with salt and eggs. I added a pinch of baking soda to bring the ph up. But I have made my own mix before with the eggs I got off eBay and have had similiar if not better results.

The collection cup picture shows only 1/10 of the shrimp that hatched. I can collect more each time. Just let them swim up. They are attacted to the light.
Not too sure I understand this but you say the nauplii are lured to swim into pure freshwater? How does that work? How do they prevent it from mixing with the brine water?

It doesn't mix alot cause salt water is heavier, but it will mix over a long amount of time. But not if you do it quick.

how quick is quick? a couple hours?

I wasn't paying attention in science class when they talked about ionic solutions and diffusion of areas of higher concentration to areas of lower concentration.
smile.gif

So I can't accuratly give you a time, but let the shrimp collect for 30 mins, then feed.  And then repeat with more water from the fry tank if you need more shrimp.

The method I use is good IMO because once they hatch in my incubator, I move them over to the seperator where they can live for 2 more days.  I then hatch a new batch if I need while they are living still, so I have a constant food supply.

I think the net would be better for larger adult brine shrimp, but I can never raise alot to be large.  Also they have alot more protein at the just hatched stage so it wouldn't make sense to raise them to adult size, unless you wanted to breed them or feed them to larger fish who can't see small baby brines.

For my next hatch, I used the eggs I got off eBay with my own mix.
1-1/2 tablespoons of Aquarium Salt.
1/2 tablespoon of Epson Salt.
Pinch of Baking Soda.
1/2 teaspoon of eggs.

I'm going to see how the results are.

Also note, that the incubator I use (upside down soda bottle) has a curved rounded bottom which keeps the eggs tumbling and constantly moving. If the eggs, settle they will hatch alot slower or not at all.

Where did you get that cool collector? Or is it part of the hatchery you mentioned before? You feed upto 3 days? I thought bobby said they arent as good after their first molt 6 hours after hatch?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LESLIEx317537 @ June 09 2005,12:05)]This is what I hatch them with.
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog....id=3029

This is how I seperate them.
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog....id=3029
From page one of this topic:

The units are two items - One is the incubator which is just a base or holder for a upside down soda bottle with a hole in the bottom that connects to the air/water tube. The other is the collection box which is normally a incubator also, but I don't use it to incubate, just seperate.

Yes, they have more oil sacks in them when they first hatch, so they have more protein. I'm not sure how long after they hatch.

This is the results after 24 hours from this second batch.

I think 1/2 teaspoon is way too much.  I will put 1/4 teaspoon next time.
Only 1/4 of the eggs hatched so far and some are still inthe process of hatching.  I collected alot of baby brine shrimp with my method just now.  I used the water from the fry tank again, and placed it on top of the collector, but this time witha  LED flashlight pointed into it for only 15 mins and got this many.  They love the light!

I am going to place the water from the collector back into the incubator and let more hatch and repeat tommorow.
Collecting%20Shrimp%202.JPG

This is just to give you a idea on how many more hatched that I even did not collect yet. And many more eggs yet have to hatch.
More%20Brine.JPG

Yeah Ill have to get one of each of those from bigals and give it a try.

Im getting good results from the pickel jar, but it seems I end up with dead spots where the eggs collect stop and jsut die becuase of lack of oxygen and movement. Wow thats alot of BBS - How many fish are you feeding BBS?

I only have 18 babys.

So this is plenty for them, I let two vials full last night and they finished them in less than 1 hour.
smile_m_32.gif

Maylandi: I have that problem too-it seems to be due to inadequate aeration. I added in a more powerful pump yesterday and wow it works well.

Hi,

It will also help if you tip the jar as that creates a better circular flow from the air. I wish I could show you the 3 tsps worth of eggs I hatch daily -- comes out to about 2 tbsp of solid bbs!

Bobby

So your using those old time glass milk jars bobby? And your getting better hatch rates than Leslie is? You really need to get a digi cam! (we need to go together and get him one guys! haha christmas is comming up)

Siphoning the baby brine out of the soda bottle is very simple too.  I just shut off the air.  Let the hatched eggs float to the top, and put my LED flashlight on the bottom where they all collect.
I then siphon them out of the same tube I use the airpump on, into the Shrimpery, the Black Box.
If some of the eggs don't float to the top inthe incubator once you shut off the air, I heard you can add more salt to make them rise to the top.  I never tried it though, cause I was afriad to add too much and kill the baby brine shrimp.

Back