What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need suggestion on fish

Hi:

I need some fish that can survive easily in a 2 gallon sized aquarium. My cockatiel's pet betta fish died. I need some fish that might be a bit more active.

One website said that zebra tetra stay small and like to be crowded. Is this really true?

NOTE: A bigger aquarium is not an option. These are pets for MY PET BIRDS!

lol...well sr y bout it is really my opionion that fish should not be kept in small than 10 gall unless a very small fish and/or very few. but since it is necicary

have u thought about guppies? or of the sort?

thanks

Brad

I've been reading that tetras like to be crowded. The fish expert over at bellaonline.com says a grouping of 6 would fit in a 1 gallon tank because they like to be crowded.

Do you agree? Mind you, these are "pets" for my birds. They are missing their betta fish and go looking for it. It was so funny to see them sitting bird beak to fish nose. I was never sure who was watching who!

Our townehouse regulations only allow 2 pets per unit. They do not count one small aquarium under 5 gallons as a "pet". This was our compromise after I begged permission to have another pair of birds.

I appreciate any help you can give me on figuring out what to buy for them. My experience with guppies is as a kid and watching with horror as they ate their young.

I would say try some Whiteclouds. They are small, tough, and more active then a Betta.
I've never heard of Zebra Tetra. I have heard of Zebra Danio. They get bigger then Whiteclouds and like a lot of space to swim in.

AND they torture angel fish ¬_¬

I also go with Whiteclouds, especially if you are horrified of guppies eating their young. Try 'em out and see if you like them.

White clouds are a good choice. They can take temp extremes and are small and cheap. Neons are colorful, but may not survive.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll be on the look out for some white clouds.

I take it these are "pale colored" fish? If so, what can I do to help my birds seem them better? What color rocks for the bottom would help make them standout a bit better? Or, would some paper attached to the back of the aquarium help?

NOTE: I am NOT a fish person! I'm glad these are hardy because I know very little about fish. My REAL pets are the birds! LOL

They are a golden color with some red on the fins.
Here's a page I made that has a few photos of them:
http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/white.html

I would use a dark background and stones. Most likely black to really get them to show up well..

Thank you for your help. A neighbor called and was going out by the pet store so I got 3 white cloud fish along with black gravel, new tubing and air stones, and a blue background sheet.

We'll be able to start our regular good morning, feeding the fish routine tomorrow.

Back