What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I.d. this caterpillar

Can anyone ID this caterpillar? It was photographed on 9/17/05 in the NJ Pine Barrens. It was about 4" long an 1/2" wide. I tried looking online, but there were so many moths and butterflies common to the area.

atias luna? i dont know but its in the saturnidea family, its endangered so next time keep it, feed it willow and realise it a day after it becomes a moth, you will be helping the spiecies reproduce and you will be geting a beautifull moth in return

for pics of the entire family :

all saturnidea

OH shoot, I knew it was a bad idea when we used it for fishing bait. Oh well, Bob caught a nice dinner with it.

Dat der swamp cateypillar sur got us sum good eats!
smile_n_32.gif

what!? wow i cant belive.. well i guess now you wont make the mistake of puting a extremely endangered, only found in carolinas,catapiller on a hook and using it as bait
confused.gif
, btw what did he catch, what type of fish ?
smile_m_32.gif

Well, either that caterpillar was lost or it must have hitched a ride to NJ with me.
Bob caught, 160lbs catfish with that little worm.

Come on guys, stop teasing everyone.
We used the caterpillar to lure out some Sarracenia purpurea from the weeds, and fed the plants.

Feed it is an understatement. The purpurea snatched it right out of our fingers. We're lucky we still have all our fingers

At least i still have all my fingers left cause i just counted -
four fingers on my left hand , and six on my right. And dat dus equal 10.

Ok...enuff of the tall tales. Tell the folks here the TRUTH. That wasn't a purp that snatched the worm....it was the Jersey Devil!
confused.gif
He reached out with his long thin bony arm and taloned fingers and snapped it up. He crunched that lil' morsel in a second and then took off and dived into the bog. I took a photo of it and its kinda dark and foggy but I'll post as soon as I can to prove it.

Pak, you just broke our agreement to never speak of the devil again. Now that the secrets out what do we do?
confused.gif

Back