What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think somthing is wrong

ok here is the story, my dad droped a galon of gasoline a year ago

on a patch of moss, three years after i see a bulb, the only plant

life in the patch, now it has the fastest growth rate i have ever

seen, its almost as if this plant is from another planet, or from the

time of the dinosaurs, now i obtained a leaf cutting and it is now

mature, (just two inches) and it became mature in less than two

weeks. can anyone identify these plants?

they are obviously ferns

Must be a fern by the looks of it.

I don't know the plant, but please say your dad didn't use gasoline to kill moss.

moss usually isnt a weed, it only grows wher ethe grass has died for some reason. If moss is growing somwehere it means that the grass isnt vigorus enough to compete with it. That usually happens in less then optimal growing condidtions for the, so really the moss should be left, 'cause the grass will probably never grow good there.

Moss most often grows in wet areas, good places for ferns. Its likely that spores colinized the area soon after it became habitable (possibly 2 years ago) and laid low in its sexual generation, the prothalli, developed for a year before it produced fronds. The lack of moss compitition probably facilitated the establishment of  the prothalli and its sunsequent rapid growth. You should plant these ferns in a suitable moist shady area to grow upon because they are not really pot plants.

Also, those plants are not mature because they are only unreproductive fronds. it will probably take a few years for reproductibe fronts to appeir, altough it varies between species.

Its really too imature to tell what the mature fronds will look like but it might be Netted Chain Fern,
Woodwardia areolata

Back