What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A little off topic, but...

losfreddy

Composter
i know how to make one with a lawn mower and alternator, but theres no time for this.

i was thinking of using an extention cord, cutting it and hook it up to my 12 volt battery on my car (thats parked in the garage) and use it as a make shift generator. Just start my car and recharge the battery every time battery is low. But i am having trouble with it. im getting no power to any appliances im trying to hook up. Can someone help me? give me any ideas.

You have appliances that run off of 12 volt power??

Are you serious? your car is 12 volts DC your home is 120 volts AC. It won't work.

Why are you trying to do this?

so i can power some things. like me fishing lights, for light. plan b is just to recharge my other 12 volt with my car to keep the lights going. guess i cant like with the luxery of a genrator, but oh well.

but there are ways to convert AC to DC. dose anyone know how to do this?

If you had a power inverter you could hook it to the car batteries and it would make 120 volts AC.The way you are doing it,you are still only getting 12volts DC.

Jerry

will the 120 AC wire carry 12 volts DC power?

yes. But you need to make sure you have the correct voltage going to what ever you're trying to power up.

Pm me your number and I'll call you later tonight. I can help you, I'm an electrcian.

well its almost pointless now. the only useful DC powered things i have are fishing lights and i could just connect those to the car batteries directly. thanks anyways guys

The new Austin Martin DB 9 has an AC outlet on the dash.
You can buy one in a light metallic blue with matching Connely leather for only $176,000.
You can see it at:  
My Webpage

WHOA! Expensive AC generator, Lauderdale!!

Just go to radio shack and buy a power inverter. It turns 12 VDC into 120 VAC. A cheap one costs about $50.

Back