What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which plant would you take?

With all the recent news on disasters, it came to my attention how tenuous our comfortable living can be.

Granted that in difficult times the safety of ourselves and loved-ones is paramount, I think many of us would nonetheless be affected by the loss of our plants, which are often regarded as "pets" and are the objects of great amounts of our time and energy.

I saw a report on CNN today in which a man affected by hurricane Rita stated "well, my family and I are ok. A tree came down on my garage and parts of my roof are gone, but overall, things are ok. I'm just thrilled my plants made it." I thought to myself: wow, a similar train of thought would be running through my mind given a similar situation.

This begs the question: given that most of us don't have the resources to quickly relocate our entire collection, which plant would you take if you had only room for one? Would it be a CP?

I would have to take my N.gracilis. It's certainly not the costliest, rarest or most showy of my CPs, but it was the first I acquired and so it means a great deal to me. I'd have no problem leaving my cacti behind.....many are so tough, they could probably survive WW3!

That's a easy question to answer. All of them.

well i would take my Nx manny herrera, 50 pound pot
confused.gif

the plants would be the last thing on my mind. i'd have to get my butt and my dog out before i worry about my plants.

but, if we were evacuating a couple of days before a hurricane hit, i'd take everything and the kitchen sink.

that's what I meant, JLAP.....you only have room for one.  so the rest of your car would probably be filled by the rest of your possessions, including your dog and, of course, your butt.  hehe.

ozzy....i knew someone would say that.
smile_m_32.gif

oh i see... that's like asking me to choose just one of my children! not that i have kids.. but if i did.. i'd probably choose my .... WHY IS LIFE SO HARD!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]not that i have kids.. but if i did.. i'd probably choose my .... WHY IS LIFE SO HARD!

I know, I know... it'd be a tough choice. CPs are beautiful and silent! You certainly wouldn't be hearing the constant drone of "are we there yet" as you drive to safety with your CP buckled in the back seat!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]oh i see... that's like asking me to choose just one of my children!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]CPs are beautiful and silent!

Well, I guess those out of context quotes answer it: throw out one of the kids, the plants are much nicer looking and much more quiet.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]oh i see... that's like asking me to choose just one of my children!

No the kids can defend for themselves, the plants can't. Teach the kids how to thumb a ride.

at this point i dont have anything that wouldnt be easy to replace in time. i know i could eventally get a cutting of my striped veitchii back as i have traded cuttings to two good ppl so far. i would guess my jac x izumae or U quelchii would be the hardest to replace i would place the U. quelchii in the nep pot and run
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]at this point i dont have anything that wouldnt be easy to replace in time.

another good point.....easier to make a new kid than find another U.quelchii or similar plant!
smile_m_32.gif

Making kids is fun and easy. All you need is a glass tube, an egg and a magazine. They're replaceable.

Now my N. Ventricosa. Where you you find one of those?!

wow thats sad, luckly im not one of your kids
smile_n_32.gif

lol

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Parasuco @ Sep. 26 2005,7:28)]Making kids is fun and easy. All you need is a glass tube, an egg and a magazine. They're replaceable.

Now my N. Ventricosa. Where you you find one of those?!
LMAO! thats a good one!

Speaking of having kids, when are there going to be some little rattlers running around? Let us know a long time in advance, me and Bugweed already have the name picked out.
Ain't that right, Bugman?

hehe then we can call them baby rattlers

lol well your probably going to have quite a wait as Mrs. Rattler would have to get her plumbing fixed in order to have another. as far as im concerened at this moment in time two step kids are enough. in another year or two? who knows. what name have you got picked out?

Well me and bug have discussed this quite a bit and the final name we came up with was Ozbugweenette.

You don't have to tell us how pretty it is, we already know.

biggrin.gif
the name is so beautifull i think saying it burns my tongue.
biggrin.gif

my first priority is to save the kitchen sink

Back