What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which plant would you take?

sent
smile_n_32.gif

OMIGAWD!!!!!!! Did you see that picture???? Rattlers gonna be pis-ed!

Well I told her to go through the carwash on the way home.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Sep. 30 2005,7:00)]I'd pick one particular Oreo that has very unique coloration. Peter D'Amato had one and his died but there were a few sister "Don Schnell' oreo plants out there in a few other people's collections that made it and they grew healthy enough to be able to be divided and shared.
Ah yes Laura...a great plant indeed, and very hard to replace. But you haven't seen the offspring of its selfings. How does a nearly solid red oreo grab you?? That would be crammed in my pocket because the pitchers can be cut back. Other than that my N. klossii would have to be with me. I can use its unopened pitchers as floatation devices.  
smile_t_32.gif

Hard to replace... that's an understatement.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Oct. 02 2005,9:51)]I don't have any solid red oreo selfings yet but you're saying that I need to leave pocket room for them in the years to come when I do?
That's the ticket!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Oct. 02 2005,9:51)]I could do that.
And you shall.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Oct. 02 2005,9:51)]Now we don't have any Nep pitchers big enough to use for flotation devices though so what's your suggestion on a substitute- blow air into my cats and tie em off at the neck and hope for the best?
LOL! There's a commercial on the SciFi channel of a guy blowing air into a small dog's behind. Needless to say the dog turns into a large balloon and kicks the man in the jaw. Priceless!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Oct. 02 2005,9:51)]Time for me to go look up your N. klossii! What is it, a platinum plated Nep or is it another one like the "Don Schnell" location oreo where there are only x number of them out there?
Something like that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Oct. 02 2005,9:51)]Lemme guess, N. klossii costs a mere $2k and I could own one myself for a pittance???
Not entirely. It's all WHO you know in Japan!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Oct. 02 2005,9:51)]You have the most awesome babies philcula!
Thanks dear.

Ha ha ha, I never saw the commercial you mentioned "LOL! There's a commercial on the SciFi channel of a guy blowing air into a small dog's behind. Needless to say the dog turns into a large balloon and kicks the man in the jaw. Priceless" but I was sort of thinking along the same lines only with a cat since our Nep pitchers over here aren't all that big but some of our cats are mutations.

Say Phil, do your greenhouses have any live ornaments in them to show off that N. klossii from Japan? I'm thinking something small and unobtrusive that wouldn't be much bother at all like a little dove? It would never ever perch on your plants and I can guarantee that.

For those interested, here's a few links on the N. klossii-
Can we all say whoa at once- read this-
http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com/klossii.htm

http://www.omnisterra.com/botany....s31.htm

Not too much information out there on this plant but the photo of the pitcher I saw looked really neat.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]so what's your suggestion on a substitute- blow air into my cats and tie em off at the neck and hope for the best?

Funny... do cat's make good plant food?
smile_m_32.gif

Maybe freeze dried and pulverized then sprinkled into pitchers like flake fish food?  Beats me if cats make good plant food but I don't see why not.

Sorry, but my landlord doesn't allow pets.
smile_m_32.gif

And if he knew about the CPs, he'd probably ban plants too.
smile_n_32.gif

Pity about your landlord chloroplast. Are you allowed to have fruitfly cultures or a tank of pin heads if you want?

I'm sure I could get away with it. I'm permitted to have fish and the like, just not birds or furry mammals (dogs, cats, rabbits, etc.).

Back