What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Endangerd species act mauled

• Thread starter Finch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    led

Finch

Whats it to ya?
House passes revised Endangered Species Act

"WASHINGTON - The House on Thursday passed legislation that could greatly expand private property rights under the environmental law that is credited with helping keep the bald eagle from extinction but also has provoked bitter fighting.

By a vote of 229-193, lawmakers approved a top-to-bottom overhaul of the 1973 Endangered Species Act, perhaps the nation’s most powerful environmental law. The law has led to contentious battles over species such as the spotted owl, the snail darter and the red-legged frog."

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Pombo’s bill would:

Eliminate critical habitat. That is area now required to be designated when a species is listed and is protected from adverse actions by federal agencies. Instead, “recovery plans” for species, including designation of habitat, would have to be developed within two years. The recovery plans would not have regulatory force and the habitat would not be protected from federal actions.
Specify that landowners with development plans are due answers from the interior secretary within 180 days, with a 180-day extension possible, about whether the development would harm protected species. If the government fails to respond in time, the development could go forward. If the government blocks the development, the landowner would be paid the fair market value of the proposed development.
Give the interior secretary the job of determining what constitutes appropriate scientific data for decision-making under the law.

Critical habitat is the habatat needed if the species is to survive

The only thing stopping this measur eis an unceartain future in the senate

We have an endangered species act?? The way wetlands are disappearing, I thought that was an urban legend.

Here's what I tend to notice about these sort of things: with either a) never hear about this again, or b) the change the law for the worse, people scream and shout for about five minutes, then move along with life. Very rarely is there an outcome c.

It's like the thing with property rights, the one where the SC ruled that private property could be seized for 'just compensation' and used for businesses and so on. We had people gasping and rambling and being generally upset, but how many people wrote to their govenment officials? How many people actively did something in a manner which made their opinion known to the political world?

I hate to be sound bitter, but that trend is rather upsetting. I'd hate to see more wilflife protection go, but every time some bull like this happens I have to think- maybe this will finally be the thing that makes people react.

Est. you are 100% right. Two years ago, if you were told that gas would be $3.50 a gallon you would have said that there is no way that you would pay it. But we let the oil companies con us with very little gas increases until we are paying $3.50 a gallon. As soon as hurricanes Rita and Katrina hit the priices skyrocketed. There was no way that the hurricanes could effect gas supplies that fast. But we sat back and just paid it.

I've seen the same thing in the conservation forum. Everybody here is all for saving plants and wildlife, until you are asked to be inconvienced by writing a letter to your political leaders.

Yeah, but there are DOZENS of environmental groups you can sign up with that will send you letters that you can send to your representatives with 1 or 2 clicks of your mouse button! I'm always sending e-mails to my elected representatives. it's fast and easy.

I've been following this, and it is sad. Another slide down the slippery slope.....

I hate to say it, but this is the result of American society having the attention span of less than 24 hours for almost any issue--a fact politicians take full advantage of. The attention span of most individuals can be raised at most to 1 week on the rare occasion of serious disasters and the like. After these time periods have elapsed, most people just move on. This is not being disrespectful, this is being truthful.

I believe the causes are simply a) the often mindless nature of most media as well as b) the fact that most Americans have not gone through any REAL hardships in their lives and so don't have motivation to change anything. When international policies result in the loss of hundreds of thousands of American lives (as in WWII) or government and corporate corruption lead to a near-total collapse of education, healthcare and economy (as in the depression), then perhaps the average American will be motivated enough to act on his/her principles.

Until then, I fear it will continue to be more of the same: the news reports, people forget.

Just my two cents (or perhaps a bit more)....
smile_m_32.gif

Est:The government can just take you`r land for "just compensation"?!?!?!? What if you object?Could you vent your anger on them?

my senator is a archconservative who fully approves of this measure. but its expensive so after he votes for it, he has hinted that the act shoud be cut for budgetary reasons. Sneaky.

I'm hoping this doesn't pass.

Back