What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any other fans of

Ok, we probably take them for granted but I think they are one of the coolest critters out there. One of those things that always fascinated me. Perhaps cause they are so common most people don't seem to pay them much notice. If you do some digging their are a few articles on how scientists recently found out how the water strider moves on water(even made a "robostrider" machine that could walk on water). I was pretty amazed at seeing this as even though I like to think I'm an observant person I never asked the question of how these little buggers manage to dart around like that even though they are on the surface of the water where your average insect gets stuck.

Whats a thread without a photo?
DSCN22690.jpg

i always though they we cool, id love to have one in my plant teranium [i put plant pots in a large tank of two inches of water, with a supended gorw light (i made it like this so watering is easy)]

love em. so cool how they can use surface tension.

Yeah, it is incredible that they can use the water surface tension to float. I think how they actually move is even more interesting.
smile.gif

http://www.discover.com/issues/nov-03/rd/how-to-walk-on-water/

I've kept the in captivity before and they do make interesting captives if they are given enough space. They will eat just about any small insect that floats on the surface of the water.

Back