Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This is a totally serious post

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind taking it. I wouldn't go out on my own and get one, but if it needs a home I can give him that. But if somebody else like finch, who is into birds wants it, I think the dove would be better off with them than me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not ship birds trough the postal system.

Unless the person who is willing to adopt or someone willing to shuttle the bird can do a direct pickup, it should not be done. There is no guarentee that the bird can get enough water and food to sustain it through the journy that could last from days to weeks if there is a mistake. This is why proffesional breeders normally do not ship live birds through the postal system unless theres a guarentee of no delay. Usually the recipiant pick up the bird. Birds need lots of food because of high metabolism, and even a short starvation period may do permenant damage. With water yes, unless the birds are desert adapted. My finches usually drink every day, but studies show that zebra finches can go a year without water. But its really bad fro them and does damage and weak ones did not survive the study. With normal birds water should always be available.

Id love one, but doves are idealy housed in a aviary wich i do not have.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the website for a Chicago bird club. I'd see if anyone in the club is willing to adopt. My sister would love to care for another bird if only it could be shipped. Good luck finding a home!
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On second tought i think you could send by air mail if its like the fastest service possible..

you should ask this brid club on the best way, im mostly familiar with small birds, brhaps bigger birds are more flexible.

As for aviarys, that is for fit birds, not crippled birds. They can be housed in a smaller space with adequate floorspace to move around alot.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laura, I'd take it in a heartbeat if I could, I love birds. Check out the local bird club link and see if someone could take it. If not..and since shipping can be so rough...my opinion is that it should probably be put down. I'll ask around at work tomorrow...there's a lady there I know who is nuts about birds.
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laura, I would like to express my sympathies for the cat and empathies for being i9n the awkward position to have to tell him. 23 years ago, while I was in Texas, our favorite cat died. Actually, it was Lynn's as a kitten, and later adopted me as a buddy. But 2 yeats later, when came home and asked how "Zeke" was doing, there was that awkward silence. Better some pain now, than more pain later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Yes I would ship it to you in a heart beat and I would pay for the shipping, but I am afraid of doing this. How does one ship a bird safely?
    Ship via commercial airlines. I forget which ones do it (they don't all do it) and which ones do it well (there was one airline that did a very good job)(Delta? / Continental?).

Specifically, you will want to ship "counter to counter". You ship the bird in a small animal carrier (roughly 1' x 1' x 2'). Find some bird breeders for expensive parrots on the web or in a bird magazine (anything from macaws to sun conures to eclectus parrots). Talk to a few of them. Anyone who has been raising birds for more than 2 years will have a pretty good idea of the status of today's shipping environment.

Sorry I don't have detailed/current knowledge. I stopped breeding parrots over 5 yrs ago.

Good luck with your situation, if there's anything I can do - holler.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes April, I know you would have taken it were it not for your cats. At the time I totally spaced out that you had more cats than me. Putting it down is not an option because the bird is healthy and gentle, it just can't use its legs. I'm not too good at putting anything down anyway not even horses that collicked that weren't long for this world. I would have preferred to drive the bird and its cage to somebody local to avoid shipping it but it is going to 0zzy or somebody that one of us at Terra knows personally such as your lady friend at work or rubra's sister who loves birds. I'm not too trusting of people these days and I don't want to find out somebody stuck my bird in a cage with their hungry snake or took the bird to give to a raptor rehabber. I volunteered time at the animal shelters for far too long and people came in all too frequently asking if there were any small rabbits or wild kittens they could have for their snakes for free. Somebody feeding this bird to a snake would really upset me. Best to deal with people I trust like 0zzy as opposed to going for the unknown.

Now I have some very good news for me... poor 0zzy because I know he is only taking the bird for the same reason I bought the bird... but I can ship the bird-
    http://www.birdshippers.org/
    http://www.internationaldovesociety....ppingDoves.htm

I have to ditch the birdcage and swap it out for a travel carrier or other appropriate shipping container as mentioned by Ron-
    http://www.plannedparrothood.com/shipping/shipping.html

Other information-
    http://shilala.homestead.com/shippingeggs.html

And, I can definitely overnight the bird on Delta via the USPS as a lot has changed in just the past 3 years. Getting my hands on the proper shipping crate will be interesting but it looks as if PetSmart carries just the right size airplane carrier. So now I feel a lot better as the bird will go bye bye.

Jim, I had been waiting for a good time to tell him because my husband hasn't been up to par lately. Before I could tell him, he went to that freezer to check for ice packs and Bastian sort of fell out frozen. There's not much in that freezer other than ice packs and a shelf so I must have put him in there wrong and he must have sort of rolled up against the door before he froze. He was a very big cat but then you have seen photos of him and know how huge he was. Anyway, I never expected my husband to have any reason to go into that freezer for anything. As luck would have it, we were going to a Halloween Party on Saturday night and my husband wanted to make sure we had ice packs for the cooler.

Ron, thanks for your info and offers. I'm definitely shipping!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast