Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This is a totally serious post

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand. And of course friends and family have enough knowledge of any situation to be dogmatic, dangerous, insensitive, and just plain innacurate. You know your husband better than any of us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The little dove's name is Colin. He is almost 1 year old. I do now have the entire history on him.

I spent an hour with him this evening. At first he shook like a leaf but after a little bit of me stroking his head he actually began to reciprocate by preening my fingers. That shocked me but there was a young man there who said that he had a particular fondness for the bird and had been holding him on his breaks ever since Colin had come in. He said there was a gal on the day shift who was also taking Colin out for lunch. Colin is every bit as crippled as what I said but he is far more socialized than what I ever imagined.

I apologize in advance to people on dial up. I am going to split the photos in half and post two here and two in another post. I am so sorry if your pages don't load because Colin has a very sweet little face.

Here are the first two images of 0zzy's bird-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are the other two photos-

He really is a very sweet bird. He will twirl his head around and rub it on your fingers to prompt you to rub his neck. If you don't pay attention to him, he does it again until you rub him.

I also found out that he can hover. He can actually get off the ground and hover in the air for a little bit. They mentioned that they like to take him out to hover a few times a day for exercise since he can't sit on a perch.

Because of his birth defects, he needs low and wide water and food bowls that are stable and I bought those tonight and will ship them with other accessories for Colin in a separate box.

I found a bird groomer who is going to give him a bath before he gets shipped.

So, now we have photos of 0zzy's new baby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awwwww

Well i dont know, but to me it looks like splayed legs, a condition where the nestlings are in an unsuitable nest and their soft feet splay outward because they have nothing to hold onto then harden that way.
    a example of splayed legs in development- the young must stay in this position for legs to harden

A adult hen with splayed legs. her legs are now permanantly hardend in this position. she will never walk

Its a shame because this is really a preventable thing; properly textured floors that the chicks can grip will aleveate this problem

Or it could just be a natural bith defect. but i doubt it

Thats eather a turtle or eurasian collerd dove. Pretty birds. Common in captivity. i have a wild or escaped one that regularyly visits my feeder. and he has young, too!
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, standard old birth defect. The original owner was a breeder who tried something or other to get them as straight as possible back when Colin was first hatched and according to the paperwork, this was the best the breeder could do. The bird was taken to a specialty vet back when it had no eyes. I have no idea what "back when it had no eyes" means and I wasn't about to ask because quite frankly... I didn't want to know. I looked at the paperwork and the paperwork clearly listed a vet's name who allegedly stated the bird would never walk or be able to perch with a suggestion that a cage be provided that had more ground area. This is the last bird out of all she had to find a good home and the people actually clapped when I came in this evening as they figured I would be a no show. They are going to "board" my bird for an additional fee of $35 for one week so that I can coordinate shipping. I am told their normal boarding fee is $45 with a cage and $55 without a cage so I should feel "special" considering I traded the used cage I had bought for a used airline approved vented carrier. They wanted to know if I was interested in a pygmy goat. I laughed in their faces and told them not to even think about bringing it out from the kennel to show me as I was in enough trouble as it was. They told me the original owner was a diabetic and is deceased and they brought it out anyway. Cutest darn little thing but unless it meows, I'm not interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah ok. very glad to hear it. wat kind of pet are you thinkig about then?
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested in a companion cat for one we have here named Elliott who was bonded to Bastian. Elliott stopped eating the day Bastian died and we had to go get appetite stimulant shots for him. He's eating now but after we all go to bed, he starts walking around meowing at the top of his lungs. These are no ordinary meows either. They are blood curdling "pelt them out one after the next" type meows. Elliott is in his mid to late teens I believe and I'm going to need another older highly socialized cat for him. His very loud screaming at around midnight looking for Bastian is piercing the darkness to say the least. We go and get him and stick him in bed with us but he just starts wandering around again at around 5 am wailing. We think this will stop if we can find the right cat. Our other cats aren't particularly interested in having anything to do with Elliott and they never have been.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laura, I think you should get a kitten. The reason I think this is: Once upon a time, when I was living by myself, I only had 3 cats. Spot, Puma, and Mikey.

Spot and Puma were best buddies, they hung out, curled up together..leaving Mikey out in the cold. I was Mikey's cat friend, LOL! But I realised that Mikey was lonely for some 4 legged companionship. So, from a friend, I got a kitten that i named Ruby Jean Parnell, in hopes that she would bond with Mikey.

And that's how it worked out. They became best buddies...she would pounce on him, he would gently play with her, and when she grew up, they were always with each other. They were best friends until the day I had to have Mikey put down, which is still the most awful day I've ever had.

Get a kitten! They put the life right back into those older ones.
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast