What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you think you could grow lfs in a jar?

if you put shpagnum peat mos or dried lfs in a jar with water and closed the lid and put it in sun

I would think it would grow like that after awhile. however your chance of growth would increase if you used something a little bigger that a jar. And humidity inside the jar might be enough without the lid if it had lots of water in it.

Zac

P.S. I don't think sphagnum peat would result in Moss as it is very decomposed moss

Maybe not direct sun, but certainly, yes. You'd need LFS - I've never seen or heard of sphagnum springing back from peat. I grow sphagnum by putting LFS and a few live strands in shallow tupperware containers and then covering them with the cheap plastic bags you get in the produce department of grocery stores. I water them once and then leave them under my lights for a few months, and when I check back they're full of live sphagnum. Without live strands to start with, your batch will take longer to get going, but it should work regardless. If you'd like, I can send you a few strands to get started for a SASE. PM me for my address.
~Joe

i have some but thaks if i ever need any ill remember any way i put lfs and shpagnum peat in two seperate bags with water under a tree see how it works ill put som live lfs in their too

I tend to get some very small dark green shoots from peat, probably because of larger chunks of sphagnum that get mixed in. Anyhow, Seedjar's method will definately yield good results, as I do the same. Unfortunately, a small parrot chewed, trampled and defecated upon one of my crops. Oh well. Same bird also damaged a recovering N. x ventrata. Some animals...

-D. Lybrand

Plantakiss had a very simple approach and I don't remember how she phrased it, but it was something to the effect of taking the bag of dried and add water. Seal, and place in the sun. Wait.

i always like to use tubberware. i use the tubberware from a restraunt so it has a clear lid. dont forget to fan your plants from time to time if you use a lid. air exchange is important.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (losfreddy @ Oct. 03 2005,11:37)]i always like to use tubberware. i use the tubberware from a restraunt so it has a clear lid. dont forget to fan your plants from time to time if you use a lid. air exchange is important.
And that's the concept to which PAK refers.

I grew some live lfs in a bag. Tell me, does the lfs need to be cut back and the pieces left in the same container? Because the lfs strands only seem to grow to a certain height and don't spread too much across the soil.

Was it Tamlin that wrote about cutting off the tips of the sphagnum and putting them in another growing medium to further propogate them?

If you want live sphagnum moss, all you need to do is take a bag of dried moss, line the bottom of a clear container (like a tank or tub), some pour water over it to get it nice and wet, put it under light or in sun (but don't let it get real hot or it will fry) and...wait. Don't let the moss dry out. The dead moss will regenerate. This takes some time...weeks to months. But I have always put a layer of dried LFS on the bottom of my tanks (just to increase humidity) and it always starts growing and turns into a thick carpet of live moss after a while.

Since it regenerates from the top layer, a broader, thinner layer of dead moss will net you more moss. If its in a jar, you will only get what will grow from the top (maybe sides if its clear and gets good light).

Hope that helps.
smile.gif

Yeah, that's the real deal! For some reason I had it being sealed.

Well yes, you can semi-seal it. My tanks are all 85-90% covered so the humidity is high but air can get in.

I have always thrown LFS into a ziploc, added water, and placed the sealed bag in bright shade. Several months later, PRESTO!! Live LFS, ready to use. Many methods, but like PAK warned, direct sun will cook LFS beautifully.

Back