What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reverse for osmosis

lol

BANNED
Man, I just spent all day installing this reverse osmosis. More complicated than they said it would be. Finally got it all working but... it's kinda leaky. A few drips here and there, but their ading up. How leaky are your units? How should I solve this problem?

Mine leaked a little, I puts lots of teflon tape on the leaky joints and it made it go away. Try that.
-Nick

uhm, leaks none. If it does leak... reread the instructions, and follow them. Do not put tape where it doesnt' say to (some are flair fittings and will leak if you DO put tape on it) and if it says to use tape, then do.... if you did put tape on it...the tape might have torn, take it off and try again. Make sure wrap tape in the direction you turn the nut, so it doesn't undo the tape as you thread the nut down... Good luck!
Andrew

Yeah, mine leaked in a couple places. One, I just tightened it more until it stopped, and the other I used teflon tape and it fixed it.

Capslock

I'll go back to lowes then (already spent 2 hours there yesturday). Despite the leakiness, this thing is great. Makes water pretty fast compared to other units, as I understand. 100gpd is pretty darn good. Thing has 3 filters, plus thr ro membrane, 4.4 gallon tank, and color changing resin beads (?). All for $110 bucks including the high shipping ($32), but I had to dish out some cash for tools and extra parts. What do the resin beads do?

The resin beads do the reverse osmosis - collecting the dissolved things you don't want in the water.  I hate doing plumbing and refuse to do any voluntarily.  Take apart the leaky fittings and reassemble them, making sure you've put teflon tape where it's supposed to be and none where it isn't.  Wind it the right way and don't put too much on.  And make sure you don't cross-thread any fittings.  They should start by winding on very freely and, if they don't, back off and try again.  Good luck.

Actually, I believe the "resin beads" are part of the de-ionization stage, which is seperate from the reverse osmosis membrane.

Is it okay when the resin beads don't completely fill the canister. It's like 9/10 full, because it was hard to stuff it all in while dry.

Ok, serious question. I heard if you don't flush water through the system properly before use, you could suffer from chemicals in the membrane used to inhibit bacterial growth. You can get flu symptoms from the stuff. What I did, is I connected the ro unit the regular way to make sure everything worked. I think I let the tank fill up, then I turned off the water line, and flushed all the water out the tank through thee ro faucet. Then, I flushed out the three main canister filters, having the cold water tap run strait through, and out to the waste line. Then, I emptied the tank again the same way. Was this the right way of flushing the system for drinking use? I should also mention the carbon filter canister was a little loose when I plugged the system up. It leaked a bit of black stuff, but I quickly tightened it, and that was when I first plugged the system in. Everything all right there? Reason I'm so concerned is, my dad's been sick, and I may have caught something from him about the same time I plugged in the system, or I didn't flush it out right, and I'm suffering the consiquences. Please help me.

I think you're fine, lol. To flush the system, I just set it up and let it fill the tanks (I have two tanks). Then I just opened the faucet until it emptied, then repeated a couple times. That's it.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. On mine, by the way, the resin ball canister leaked, so I just removed it. You don't really need it.

Capslock

Back