What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Necps show

Even though we had rainy weather both days, the 3rd NECPS Show was a great success.

We had over 300 visitors from far and wide. One couple came from Orlando, Florida just to come to the show - and you should have seen the HUGE Ceph they took home thanks to "Cephmaster" Jeff, or "Jeffalotus" as I am now calling him.

Saturday night around 20 of us went out to The Four Seasons restaurant for asian food and a raucous time. I don't know if anyone was brave enough to order the "Strangely Cooked Beef" on the menu...

We had NECPS member-only silent auctions on both days, and it was brutal. I did manage to win the high bid on the awesome VFT Bigmouth (Thank You Tony!!).

I also picked up a N. rafflesiana, N. macfarlanei, N lowi, and oooh, ooooh, ooohhh, a young RORIDULA!!!! (thanks to Matt from UCONN for bringing those).

OK, what did anyone else score. and who has pictures and more updates from the show?

What a great time! Bill, you failed to mention the lady that came in from LONDON.

There were some rediculous plants at the show, no doubt. Someone brought a rather large N. 'Predator,' there were roridula (as Bill mentioned), cephs, genlesia, ALDROVANDA FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, and a truncata with a pitcher almost 18" tall.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I scored a lowii x meulenensis (sp on that last one?), gymamphora, ventricosa x talengensis (looks remarkable like the gymamphora at this age) and a mira. I think I showed remarkable restraint in only buying four....
laugh.gif

Oh, and some "nep fertilizer" (it's a slow-release pelet type) that I plan to experiment with.

Wow sounds great you guys, you will have to post some photos.

Thanks
-Jeremiah-

No one has posted photos yet! It makes me so sad
smile_h_32.gif
biggrin.gif

Ok, ok, OK!  You want some photos?  Here you go...First round...I got lots more, but I am short on time, so you get your medicine in doses.
predator.jpg

Predator

macrophylla.jpg

Macrophylla

cobra.jpg

Cobra

Bigoltruncata.jpg

no introductions needed, I beleive!

BigMouth.jpg

Big Mouth

bigheli.jpg

Large heliamphora....I think nuntans or nuntans x heterodaxa

Oh, and yes, for those who are wondering, Schloaty did finally sign up for Photobucket.

OMG. That truncata! It's mongo!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Run away!!

Beautiful macrophylla too!

Capslock

schloaty how did you survive that Truncata?! Surely you are missing a finger or two, oh and that big mouth looks ready to bite! The cobras are neat too, and the heliamphoria look divine! i was going to go but it was so rainy and a drive from long island to road island is a 7 hour trip that meant ill have to go 4 in the morning and come home at midnight, no tanx, those images make me wish i had want
smile_o_32.gif
but keep the photos comin!

Hey 7Santiago -

Maybe you could carpool with someone and share the driving next year. Come to dinner with us, and stay over at a hotel, and come on both days (you wouldn't have to pay the second day).

Just wait til you see the Ceph and Bical photos...nice pics so far Dave!!

The show was simply WONDERFUL!

We had many many plants. We had many many great members and visitors attend. We had lots of food. We had a GREAT silent auction at which I won a Roridula gorgonias--I think it was a sibling of the plant Bill won...hehe.

We had people from different states and countries. We picked up many new members. We had live feedings of VFTs projected over intercom and real-time video. We had a great presentation on how to successfully grow CPs given by WildBill. We had an AWESOME time eating out after the first day, with over 20 members getting together for food/drink.

We had it all. We had a great, terrific, exciting time.

And we will have an even BETTER time next year.
smile.gif
smile_n_32.gif

wildbill... hmm, thanx But i think you forgot im only fourteen, you know how mothers can be especialy with a carpooll of grown men/women, my mom thinks you all are a team of middle eastern kidnapers who capture children
confused.gif
for the organ "donant" indestry or a bunch of evil rapers looking for fresh meat ...and tv is supose to corupt the minds of children.
laugh.gif
my dad was going to drive me (after telling him 5 months in advance) there but when we saw the conditions, it was too rainy. Its supose to rain for the entire week,
OK, Flood in NY and hail/snow in a desert state, colorado, what a year! I will atend next year though.

Maybe there's other people from Long Island you could go with?
(might be more fun too).

Hey, whose macrophylla is that, anyway?  I thought that between Bill and I we'd lost the two in the NECPS.  Unless Dave had one that i forgot about.  That's probably it.  Dave's sneaky that way.

If you send me a CD of your photos Schloaty, i'll post them and use some for my show writeup.  I didn't take very many this year myself.  Same goes for anyone else who was there--send me your pics!

It sounds like i missed out on Sunday, but i did nab that HUGE rajah on the auction table on Saturday.  Sweet!  This one is almost big enough to EAT the raccoons that took down its dearly departed brother.

Yah, you nabbed it from ME!!

That's Dave Sackett's awesome macrophylla, I think his wife Michelle got it for him a few years ago from Tony P. as a Christmas present.

Let's see...I got a nice S. rubra from our great vendor sponsor. From the silent auction on Sunday I got a huge truncata and a nice-sized S. minor (with a bursting seed pod), I think these both were from Matt. Oh yeah, I got some aldrovanda from Matt also. I also got some great tips from Jeff "the cephmaster". Overall, it was a great show for me, despite the rain. And it seems like wit the planning we've go going on now, it'll be even better next year!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (StifflerMichael @ Oct. 12 2005,9:02)]I got a huge truncata and a nice-sized S. minor (with a bursting seed pod), I think these both were from Matt.  
There were four large N. truncatas in total donated by Ken and Leslie on Sunday. They really helped boost the society funds.

However, Matt donated the highest quantity and highest overall dollar value of plants for the society table. We would not have had such record-breaking sales without his plants.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There were four large N. truncatas in total donated by Ken and Leslie on Sunday.
Durn it, i knew i was going to miss something cool on Sunday!

The macrophylla is looking great, Dave. I think i keep forgetting about it because of that monster singalana you have that steals the show.

Thanks for the compliments on my plants. Yes, my N. macrophylla was on the member's favorites table last year and my wife did buy it from Tony as a Christmas present to me.

No more photos?

I scored a gorgeous: S. flava
Byblis liniflora and Roridula seed
Bought a N. alata and Heliamphora heterodoxa minor cross
to be displayed in the Ecotarium exhibit.
A cutting of a N. maxima (that I had lost but luckily had given a cutting to a fellow member) Propagate...propagate...propagate!!
And a non-carnie prize of Amorphallus prannii (SCORE!!!)

Kirk
Fitchburg Mass

Back