What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new neighbors

A pair of Ospreys hang out in front of my condo because of the good fishing in the sandbar channel just off the beach.  It attracts mullet and pilchards by the hundreds.  They stay in the shallow channel at high tide where they are safe from the large predatory fish such as tarpon, snook and sharks.  Even the pelicans can't get them since diving from thirty feet up into three feet of water would spoil their whole day.  However, this is made to order for the Ospreys and their strafing attacks.

During mid afternoon when the fishing is slow the male Osprey sits on one of the balconys of the condo to the South of mine and takes a siesta.  The female is much more wary and never does that.  The guy is very adventuresome and sometimes rides a thermal about thirty feet from my balcony...never flaps his wings and looks at me with those beady little eyes.  I really have to get a pic of that.  He is also somewhat of an acrobat.  His maximum performance climbing turns are impressive and his "hammerhead" would put the Blue Angels to shame.  The female is all business and never engages in such frivolity.

Here he is on the eighth floor eyeballing a school of mullet.
Osprey_001.sized.jpg

The railing is 20" tall so this is a pretty good size bird.  The female is much larger with a wingspan of at least three feet.
Osprey_also.sized.jpg

The male just captured a good sized mullet, took it to the eighth floor apartment railing and ate it.  The owner is going to to get a real surprise when he gets back for the winter.

Wow...that's awsome. He's beautiful! Large birds of prey are so regal.
smile.gif

You sure have a nice view from your condo. The water is the prettiest color! Since I'm geographically challenged...are you on the east side? So you can see sunrises?

PAK,  My place is on the South West corner of the building.  I can see the Ocean and the city.

Coffee time.  This is sunrise over the Gulfstream taken from my balcony.
sunrise.sized.jpg

Cocktail time.  This is sunset over the Everglades taken from my living or dining room.  I forget which.
sunset.sized.jpg

This is my favorite color of water...clear.
kayak.jpg

Wow. How beautiful... Now *I* might get in water THAT clear!

When can I move in??
laugh.gif

I love the beach.

Back