What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hypotheticly.......................

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
say a State put a measure on the ballot and it passes 66% for, 33% against. after this the federal guberment says their laws trump the states desition and they cant do it. who is in the right? personally i think states rights should come before federal laws in most respects especially if the issue isnt harming the enviroment at all, isnt causing harm to anyone not willing to participate in it, doesnt affect the general tax payers one bit and may actually save them some money.

sorry just fuming over an issue...................

Yes, state's rights have recently been drastically de-emphasized, which is ironic with a Republican-controlled government. It's a shame, because the feds have become increasingly heavy-handed in issues like assisted suicide, gay marriage, medical marijuana, and the like. It seems they were only interested in states rights when they were forced to integrate schools.
smile_h_32.gif

Capslock

i agree.

I agree as well.

I heard that they are trying to overturn Oregon's "Death with Dignity." What a shame.

the feds saying their drug laws trump any states medical marijuana laws. though as PAK stated the die with dignity laws passed in Ore. are coming under fire too, in this case the feds are bringing current drug laws as their basis.

my issue with the feds is that they are making it difficult for ppl truely sick to get meds that work. so far teh federal attorney for Montana has not attempted to get the list of approved medical marijuana patients(110 ppl last i knew). im guessing he hasnt attempted it as the current governor wouldnt allow it. so now the feds still prosicute, and doctors are really really not sure about writing recommendations and sick ppl dont really want to get the recommendations cause what happens if the Feds push to get the list and succed? the whole issue is idiotic. the ppl voted for it so just let democracy take its course.

States lost their rights when the Confederate States fell (also many civil liberities were lost, or atleast the basis for revoking them was established). It was the first time in American history that the Fedral government FORCED onto states their laws. Since then states rights have been powerless. It also caused many people to feel that the fed. gov't should trump states. States rights dont mean anything in this day, which is sad and the idea that the founding fathers had about states rights is dead now. A few people still hold them but for the most part people look to the fed. to pass laws and control the nation.

Back