What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would happen if

• Thread starter fc3srx713b
  • Start date
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Maybe at this point the debating ought be through PM's? Its focus seems to be on issues other than the original.

ts because public debate can regulate behavior and wording when someone knows their being watched and may be less willing to step on toes

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Out of pure mercy towards your soul I advise you... don't. That's the mistake I made and have made many times.

confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Let me tell you something, there is a possibility that Bush may change the law (what reasons would allow this, I dont know) to allow him to run for office again, a third term.  If it comes down to him and Hillary, I swear I'm going to move out the country.

Um
smile_n_32.gif

its been 2 terms for awhile and i cannot possibly see a senerio in wich it could change now.

People lets try to tone doun our rhetoric the enviorments feeling pretty hostile right about now.

I think that in order for a woman to be voted as president, she would have to have the same characteristics as the other candidates....a lust for power, greed, and the desire for the goodwill of all except those who disagree.

If we were to trace back terrorism to it's source, we will see an act committed against innocent people followed by an act of revenge.

round and round...

Brian

Brian, that was awesome.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Brian_W @ Oct. 25 2005,10:27)]If we were to trace back terrorism to it's source, we will see an act committed against innocent people followed by an act of revenge.

round and round...
Tracing things back I don't think we'd even find an attack. I'm of the opinion that every attack is an act of self-preservation (self-defense, retaliation, revenge) in the mind of the "attacker". Attacking for the sake of attacking just doesn't happen... it's blatantly high risk and zero reward. Every aggressor thinks they're the victim of an unjust situation and that they've been forced to make things "right".

This doesn't excuse people for their actions, but it is the key to understanding why they do it. It's simple psychology. To treat them as human isn't traitorous or sympathetic-to-the-enemy or whatever... it's just logical.

People who would rather just slap dismissive blanket terms like "evil" on them than actually try to understand them are just sabotaging their own causes, I think. You can't develop a solution until you can accurately define the problem.

Since conservatives in general want a smaller government, and less government interference in our personal lives...i find it deeply ironic that they should want to interfere with what a woman does with her body.  And dictate who and who cannot marry. If they were true to their ideology, they would realise at once that it's none of their dang business what women do with their bodies, or who marries.  But, our conservative friends tend to be like hypocritical town busy-bodies. And they have a special fetish for wanting to regulate the "bedroom stuff."  

Please remember that up until the last 50 years or so...it was illegal for a husband and wife to practice birth control.  Courtesty or our friends, the uber Christian right wing.  The busy bodies.

Marriage was a purely social construct at the beginning...it had nothing to do with love. It was all about protecting inheritances and property rights and politcal alliances. In some countries, that's what it still is....ever heard of arranged marriages? It isn't about true love.

Someone wrote that they would vote for ANY female or minority candidate that chose to run for president, whether they agreed with their positions or not.  Please do us all a favour and don't vote.  Voting shouldn't be a knee-jerk reaction and should require a certain amount of sophistication....what if your female or minority candidate was a mini-Hitler, or Stalin? You'd still vote for them? DUH. I'm a lifelong Liberal Democrat, and in the last county elections...I voted for a Republican because their candidate was the only one that was pro-open space and planned growth.  It's not always just about the party.  

As far as GWB goes...gak. Give him enough rope, and he'll hang himself. He's at home swinging right now. His lies and the Machiavellian scheming of his inner circle are catching up to him. And I am so enjoying it. Aprilh

I'd vote for Stalin

I would vote completely independant. Libertarians want to give me back my constitution and my Bill of Rights. I'll take it! Besides, we still need new blood in the White House. Democrats and Republicans both, suck rocks. I have voted for both, so you can save your canned rhetoric for some one who cares. All I know, is it is the same old crap, election after election. Promises, and BS. Constantly.
Anyone new can't do any worse than George and Company. Besides, George has us so deep in debt, we may never see the light of day. China owns us right now because that is where we borrowed the money to finance "George's War". And we can't pay it back. Wottaya know! We been screwed, and didn't even know it was happening. China calls our marker, and none of us own anything, because it belongs to China. HA! Sold out by our own Government. What a suprise. right. I cannot believe so many folks out there don't realize we run the Government, not vice versa. Take it back, or lose it all. I will NEVER vote for a Democrat, or a Repuiblican again. For the most part, they are all a waste of human flesh. McCain on the other hand, I respect a lot. But not if he runs on a Republican ticket. I just cannot bring myself to vote for a dead cause. The agendas of the "parties". What happened to the people in all this?? What this country is supposedly all about? Well, people get in the way of agendas, whether a D's, or an R's, so they are ignored for the "good of the party". Screw the parties, vote for what is right, and that is a country that believes in freedom, and doesn't use a half ton of lame excuses about "spreading" democracy through out the world. It is not our place to make anyone use our system of Government, and yet we cram it down Middle Eastern throats. That has never been the American Way, and should NEVER be the American Way. Tolerance, freedom of thought, of Religion (or the lack thereof), of privacy, are cornerstones of our Nation, and Marching into a country under the guise of WMD, is just plain wrong, and smacks of Nazism, IMO. You can call it whatever YOU like, but this is so against the basis of this Nation, I still can hardly believe that anyone who cares, would allow this to happen. We were attacked by Osama, not Saddam, so get on the right track, and go after the right guy. Why bother with Iraq. When we go away from there, civil war will engulf the country, and who will then be the next dictator?? We gonna borrow more Chinese bucks to go get them too?? DO NOT trust them. Countries who have trusted their leaders with no thought or questions, have been buried with totalitarianism. Feels like we are moving in that direction.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Oct. 27 2005,11:05)]I would vote completely independant. Libertarians want to give me back my constitution and my Bill of Rights. I'll take it! All I know, is it is the same old crap, election after election. Promises, and BS. Constantly.

Right on Bugweed, here here i second that, very well put Bugweed!!!!
smilie4.gif

I think The Who had phrased it well: "Meet the new boss; same as the old boss. We don't get fooled again".

Jimscott...

Ironically, Bush used Won't Get Fooled Again as his campaign song in 2000...except they cut the 'meet the new boss, same as the old boss' line.  

Bugweed...you're a real good guy but I got to disagree with you on the "republicans and democrats both suck rocks" issue. I totally believe that if the election hadn't been stolen from Gore in 2000...we would not be in the mess we are in now. I.E., we wouldn't be in Iraq.  If the Democratic Party ever develops a spine and becomes the Democratic party again....I'll be happy about it.  Notice how they've muzzled Howard Dean.  I want the democrats to move to the left...I don't want them to become "republican lite."

if a qualified woman whose views I agree with ever becomes a candidate for president, I would vote for her. Hilary voted for the war in Iraq, and is against certain women's healthcare issues. Plus I lost all respect for her when she didn't chuck Bill out on  his rear, though i think Bill was the best president of my lifetime so far.  So, i couldn't vote for her. I'm hoping John Edwards is the Democratic nominee.  Aprilh

Disagreement is what we live for, and to work out compromise. I respect your views--BIGTIME--but I cannot go the party route any longer. I think they suck, and that is how I feel. I don't like either side because of agendas that do not include keeping our freedoms. You can do what you want, April, its OK with me that you follow your heart, but I cannot see it as it will continue to be more of the S.O.S. Nothing getting done in the favor of the people of this country, but to line the pockets of the BIG WIGS in the parties, while the rest of us continue to listen to the same old, canned, dead drivel they have been using for years. I am so tired of both sides rhetoric, I will NOT vote for them again. Nor will I buy into their crap, nor agree with how they are handling this country, this World. Anyone who blindly follows a party, is asking for trouble, and that is all there is to that. History bears this out. However, I know you are not blindly following, so I can respect that, though I think we could do better with new blood in the White House, and maybe three or four parties instead of just the same old two useless ones. (Now don't get mad!) That is how I feel about it, and I hope you can understand where I am coming from. No more for me. D's and R's-----ICK!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ Oct. 28 2005,10:08)]Jimscott...

Ironically, Bush used Won't Get Fooled Again as his campaign song in 2000...except they cut the 'meet the new boss, same as the old boss' line.  

I'm hoping John Edwards is the Democratic nominee.  Aprilh
Oh... I didn't know that! Reminds me of Clinton using a Fleetwood Mac song in his victory (Don't Stop). He probably shoulda used, (The Big Love).

Anyways, I'd love to hear Howard Dean's roar again, just for grins and chuckles. Seriously, I thought that John Edwards was the strongest candidate and would go out on a limb and say that he will be nominated in '08 and win.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Oct. 29 2005,5:08)]I thought that John Edwards was the strongest candidate and would go out on a limb and say that he will be nominated in '08 and win.
I'll bring a step ladder just in case that limb breaks!

Staying on topic, I would vote for a woman, but not just because she is a woman. And my political leanings are not relevant to this discussion, so I won't go there.

Jimscott--what about 'Afternoon Delight' as sung by the cast in 'Anchorman'?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JBL @ Oct. 29 2005,5:55)]Staying on topic, I would vote for a woman, but not just because she is a woman.  And my political leanings are not relevant to this discussion, so I won't go there.

Jimscott--what about 'Afternoon Delight' as sung by the cast in 'Anchorman'?
Same here with the politics end of things.

Good one, Joe! I'm not familar with the Anchorman cast - just the #2 hit from Starland Vocal Band.

I just got a flashback to "Me and Mrs. Jones" and "If Loving you is Wrong", both from '72. Can ya tell I listened to too much American Top 40?  
smile_m_32.gif

Yes. So did I, but I think I've recovered. Except that "The Night Chicago Died" or "Billy Don't be a Hero" sometimes bubble up from a dusty corner of my brain and drive me crazy for a while. Oh no ... why'd I let myself think of them ... they're coming out! Arrgghh!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Oct. 29 2005,10:58)]"The Night Chicago Died" or "Billy Don't be a Hero"
Two truly awful songs. How about if Cher runs for Prez and sings, what is it, 'Do You Believe in Love'? with that horrid yodeling sound.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JBL @ Oct. 29 2005,11:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Oct. 29 2005,10:58)]"The Night Chicago Died" or "Billy Don't be a Hero"
Two truly awful songs.  How about if Cher runs for Prez and sings, what is it, 'Do You Believe in Love'? with that horrid yodeling sound.
Okay, this probably won't sit well with the two of you, but I happen to like all of the afore-mentioned. I guess now's not a good time to mention Shaun Cassidy, Leif Garrett, and the Defranco Family.  
smile_m_32.gif

Dang, Jim! How could you listen to all that B.S., and forget the Cowsills??? Weren't they cute???
Paul Revere and the Raiders??
Dave Clark 5??
We had a ton of them!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Oct. 30 2005,8:24)]Dang, Jim! How could you listen to all that B.S., and forget the Cowsills??? Weren't they cute???      
                Paul Revere and the Raiders??
                Dave Clark 5??
We had a ton of them!
"Gimme a head with hair. Long, beautiful hair..." "Oh say can you see, my eyes if you can. Then my hairs' too short!"

Yeah, I love all that too! Definitely want DC 5 greatest hits.

I lost interest in this thread a long time ago and I haven't been reading it, so I really don't know where the conversation has led to.
I have been think about the original question though.

What would happen if a female was elected president?

The other party would dig up all the dirt they could about her past.

The other party would work as hard as they could to find a reason to have her impeeched.

Millions of my hard earned money would go to pointless investigations.

There would be senate hearings about something she did years ago.

The media would be like sharks in a feeding frenzy.

Nothing would be accomplished because the senate would just vote with whatever their party wanted.

If the woman was a democrat then all of the above would be ten times as bad.

So I guess the answer to the question "What would happen if there was a female president?" is nothing different.

Back