What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Football help!

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
The company I work for is having this contest thingy where you pick the football teams that will win this weekend. The person who picks the most correct teams wins. The prize is a stupid bottle of wine but still...I wanna win!
biggrin.gif

I would welcome any knowledgeable opinions on which team is better of EACH pair listed below that are playing each other. So far, I have been picking based on team name (hehe) or what teams that I've heard were "good" in the past.

Atlanta at New Orleans
Carolina at Detroit
Cincinnati and Tennessee
Cleveland at Baltimore
Jacksonville at Pittsburg
Miami at Tampa
Minnesota at Chicago
NY Giants at Dallas
Washington at Kansas City
New England at Denver
NY Jets at Buffalo
San Diego at Oakland
Houston at Seattle

I have made bold the teams *I* think might win...based totally on... ignorance.
smile.gif
How off am I?

OK, I have
Atlanta at New Orleans
Carolina at Detroit
Cincinnati and Tennessee
Cleveland at Baltimore
Miami at Tampa
Minnesota at Chicago
NY Giants at Dallas
New England at Denver
NY Jets at Buffalo
San Diego at Oakland
Houston at Seattle

So, we differ on a couple there. Really I would stay away from Oalkand and get on Cincinnati over Tennessee.

Good luck!

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Oct. 13 2005,11:15)]Atlanta at New Orleans
Carolina at Detroit
Cincinnati and Tennessee
Cleveland at Baltimore
Miami at Tampa
Minnesota at Chicago
NY Giants at Dallas
New England at Denver
NY Jets at Buffalo
San Diego at Oakland
Houston at Seattle

I have made bold the teams *I* think might win...based totally on... ignorance.  
smile.gif
  How off am I?
Here was my pick:

Atlanta
Carolina
Cincinnati
Baltimore
Pittsburgh
Tampa Bay
Chicago
Dallas*
K.C.
Denver
Buffalo*
Oakland*
Seattle

* Favorite teams / irrational picks

When both teams are of comparable strength, it is usually good to go with the home team. Good luck!

Suzanne, your pics sound like the logic employed by a couple of the gals at work. The very first week of the season, one gal actually won. But that logic was good for that week only!

Well I USED to watch a LITTLE football when I was much younger so the teams I knew of who were "good" were Dallas Cowboys and the Green Bay Packers. I don't know if they are still good. Redskins used to be good. Are they still? I have no clue!

This will be interesting.
smile.gif
Opinions sure can vary.

My picks vs spread

DALLAS (-3.5) over NY Giants
KANSAS CITY (-5.5) over Washington
CHICAGO (-2.5) over Minnesota
Carolina (1.5) over DETROIT
Miami (4.5) over TAMPA BAY
Atlanta (-4.5) over NEW ORLEANS
TENNESSEE (2.5) over Cincinnati
BALTIMORE (-5.5) over Cleveland
PITTSBURGH (-1.5) over Jacksonville
BUFFALO (-3.5) over NY Jets
New England (3.5) over DENVER
OAKLAND (2.5) over San Diego
Houston (9.5) over SEATTLE
St. Louis (13.5) over INDIANAPOLIS

Well this is hard. Nobody agrees! lol I have to fill this thing in today.

Dave...I'm confused. Are the teams you think will win the ones in caps or the ones in the left-hand column??

Well I've filled in my card. I'll let you know if I win. They don't tell you how many you got right...only if you win.

Wish me luck!
biggrin.gif

(I really want to win the grand prize which is a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid but the odds are pretty slim for that since its a country-wide contest.)

Dallas and Green Bay good at the same time? That could have been ~10 years ago or !966 / 1967. The very first football game I ever saw was the famous "Icebowl game", when the Packers got by the Cowboys 21-17. I felt sorry for the Cowboys and rooted for them ever since. When the Packers played the Raiders in Super Bowl 2, I felt sorry for the Raiders and became a Raider fan.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Oct. 14 2005,12:05)]Dave...I'm confused.  Are the teams you think will win the ones in caps or the ones in the left-hand column??
Yes, but it is a little tricky. Good luck on your picks! I am in a different kind of  weekly office football pool.

Jim has a good explanation below as to how it works.

Winning and losing with point spread isn't the idea. It's being able to predict whether the winning team wins by more points than the oddsmakers predict. Let's say the Miami wins against Tampa Bay by 4 points. If you took Miami, you lose because they were espected to win by 4.5 points. If they won by a margin greater than 4.5 and you took Miami, you win.

Dudes...

The Brownies are having a pretty good start. Baltimore sucks this year they are 1-3. Cleveland OVER Baltimore!

Isn't just winning good enough? Doesn't matter if a team wins by 1 pt or 30 points...they still win.
smile.gif

Yeah, well, it spices things and separates the casual football pool bettor from the ones that are gonna need therapy!

Some football pools are about picking a winner regardless of the spread, and some take the spread into account.

Capslock

Suzanne! Did ya win?

I just wanna say, GO RAMS! If not the rams then, GO CHARGERS! If not the chagers then, THE PATRIOTS ARE GONNA WIN (sigh) !
smile_n_32.gif

Ok...YOU GUYS FAILED ME! What's wrong with you male football types! lol
smile_n_32.gif

I lost.
smile_h_32.gif
Two other people in the office won. I will try again. I'll try to find out who were the winning teams.

But...hope springs eternal! The NEW contest is out!

Will post the new one after I create the artwork for our newly designed post signs. Damm work...

biggrin.gif

I look forward to the upcoming week's pool!
smile.gif

Ok...here is the new one for Sunday, October 23:

Detroit at Cleveland
Green Bay at Minnesota
Indianapolis at Houston
Kansas City at Miami
New Orleans at St. Louis
Pittsburgh at Cincinnati
San Diego at Philadephia
San Francisco at Washington
Dallas at Seattle
Baltimore at Chicago