What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Happy birthday to

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Happy birthday, Bobby! Got Panchax?  
smile_m_32.gif

Happy Birthday Bobby! Have a good one.
smile.gif

Happy Birthday!
biggrin.gif

Jerry

Happy Birthday!

Hi,

Thanks guys. Panchax, wow haven't heard that one in a long while. The old name for killifish. I even have a booklet from the 50's entilted Panchax. I always sort of liked it.

Bobby

LOL! We're the same vintage! You may have had one of those, "Know your... or Enjoy your..." Do you have the old Tropical Fish Hobbyist textbook, with the picture of the Bettas on the front cover? I had the one with the Platys.

Hi Jim,

You bet I had the book from the Pet Library Enjoy Your Killifish. It was and is a great little book. I have the whole series by that company and am now friends with most of the authors I worshipped as a kid! Bruce Turner is one of the great ichthyologists today and Al Klee just published a 2 volume 800 page collection of all his fish articles from the last 50 years. You still can't beat alot of the Pet Library information and most of it was far better than TFH -- unless TFH was translating German books. The PL authors like Rosario LaCorte, Gene Wolfsheimer, Carroll Friswold, **** Haas and Joanne Norton were the very best around -- classics. Today's Barron books rival the old PL books but many of those are authored by German hobbyists. PL was the American hobby in its golden age.

I'm not sure which TFH book you mean -- The Encyclodepia of Tropical Fish maybe with the bettas spawning? That was my second big book after Innes' great book Exotic Aquarium Fish. I loved the Innes book and Gunther Sterba's masterpiece Freshwater Fishes of the World with its photos of annual killies diving into peat moss to lay their eggs.

You know Axelrod was just let out of jail for tax evasion or something after paying 50 million to cover all civil suit awards, fines and lawyer fees. What a sad way to finish one's life.

Bobby

The TFH book I was referring to is the binder that had the basic pages with a synopsis of the care of individual fish, but also acommodated the supplements that came with the TFF magazine. I think we're talking about the same thing.

I remember the Innes book, but I didn't own a copy. Too bad about Dr. Axelrod. He was one of my childhood fish geroes, along with Vordwinkler, Pronek, and Rodney Jonklaas - the guy who took all thsoe pictures.

Did you prefer TFH or FAMA? Do you remember the column called, "From Guppies to Groupers" or "Mail Call"? Been Awhile for me!

Happy birthday.

Good job your first name isn't Ivor with that username
smile_n_32.gif

Woops. Missed this one. Hope you had a grrrrrreat birthday!
biggrin.gif

HI Jim,

Ah, you mean the looseleaf Exotic Tropical Fish. I have the hardcover edition but never got the looseleaf edition. Now, I do have the 12 volume looseleaf german book that ETF was modeled after -- Aquarium Fish In Words and Pictures by Holly, Meinken and Rachow. It was published from the mid 1930's to the late 1950's and is simply amazing -- 1000's of entries.

Today I like TFH more than FAMA bit back in the early 80's FAMA was the better magazine. FAMA was recently sold to Aquarium Fish Magazine and had a makeover. It is better now but has lost its leadership role. TFH is on a roll. I remember watching Guppies to Groupers on TV every week and reading the articles. I think FAMA still runs the column or did until very recently. I loved TFH's Mail Call and even sent in a few questions as a kid. I was not a fan of Axelrod after a while as the killie hobby revealed to me other authors who had made a greater contribution although they were not as rich and powerful as Herbie. If you ever get a chance to buy copies of the Aquarium Magazine from 1932 until 1956 when Innes was the editor you will see what a great fish magazine was. The same goes for the Aquarium Journal from 1955 to 1965 -- incredible. They did not have the color photos but they had the best hobbyist authors. Another little magazine that was incredible was Aquatic Life out of Baltimore. The editor Augie Roth was pretty much a one man team and he published the magazine from the 1930's until 1968. He would translate the best stuff from the superior German magazines -- especially pre-WWII stuff -- and the articles were the best.

Bobby

Yup, that be the one! I cherished that book as a kid. In the Mail Call section of TFH a kid wrote in (probably our age) about "Sea Monkeys". It was like something from the Saturday Night Live character, the one that goes into a long politcial comment, only to find out she misread or misinterpreted the topic and we heard the inevitable, "Never mind". Anyways, this kid had ordered Sea Monkeys and wante to know all baout them, what they ate and their breeding habits, etc... The reply was, "They're brine shrimp".

I grew up reading TFH magazine, so when FAMA started publishing, I was a little jealous for them. But it was great reading about saltwater fish & inverts, while TFH only dealt with fresh. They did a good job.

Back