What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do they sell distilled water

• Thread starter urban
  • Start date
where cna i buy it? can i get it at liek ralphs or albertsons, or some place.?

yeah they sell it in the same isle as drinking water it should be easy to find

Yes, Ralph's and Albertsons both carry distilled water. I buy all mine at Albertson's for about a dollar a gallon.

You should be able to find distilled water at any grocery store (and possibly Walmart?)

Look for a machine out front of the grocery stores. If you fill your own gallon jugs it is only 30 cents a gallon.
-Nick

$1ºº a gallon! Wow! Must be liquid gold in your area. I can get it for 60¢ to 70¢ (including tax) at the grocery store. If I go to Wal Mart and fill my own container, I can get it for 33¢ a gallon.

Dang, I must be going to the wrong stores for my water!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif

I'd rather not fill my own jugs, but where can I get it for 60-70 cents a gallon?

The grocery store I get mine at is a City Market. Which is one of the Kroger companies stores as is King Soopers. Don't know if you have either of those in California. The least expensive water is from the machines that allow you to fill your own water containers. The one I mentioned that is in my local Wal Mart is serviced by Culligan and is a RO unit with a UV light as the final part of the filtration process.

Messes up the genes a little bit so that bacteria and other microbes can't reproduce. That's why you are told to wear sunscreen when your out in the sun. Sunscreen blocks the UV so it doesn't mess up the genes in your skin cells and cause cancer or premature aging of the skin.

Get a large covered plastic barrel, and connect it to the downspout of your gutter.

If you keep your gutters clean, you can collect water that is ~<10 ppm total dissolved solids.

The only water I can buy that's good enough for CP is deionized from petrol stations at 1.00 pound sterling per litre. I now buy at least 3 bottles every week due to the sudden growth in my collection (6 Nepenthes in a month)...
Time to buy a water butt.

Cheers

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ Oct. 17 2005,2:59)]Get a large covered plastic barrel, and connect it to the downspout of your gutter.

If you keep your gutters clean, you can collect water that is ~<10 ppm total dissolved solids.
That's essentially what I have rigged up behind the townhouse. Besides, that water isn't spending any time sitting and absorbing much in the way of metallic salts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Just curious...what does the UV light do? Messes up the genes a little bit so that bacteria and other microbes can't reproduce.

A good seque to the following public health service announcement: It's best if you don't drink RO/distilled water especially after it's been opened for days as the absence of chlorine is an invitation for almost any bacterium, protozoan, fungus or mold to colonize and reproduce. Not kidding.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Get a large covered plastic barrel, and connect it to the downspout of your gutter.

A great idea, especially if you live in the New England area!
smile_n_32.gif

For the past 9 days, we've been in monsoon season. 14" in NY, 15" in Hartford, 11" in Providence, 6" in Boston. Finally, I saw the sun today!

During the hot days when I have the AC running I run a hose from the AC unit down to a water bottle and collect the water from the condenser. It saves me a lot of money on water and is perfectly safe for CP's. Now the days are getting cooler and the rainy season is just starting so I have to find a way to collect rainwater. The downspout idea is out though because, well there isn't a downspout here
confused.gif

well no more rain in SD now, and i didnt collect any water when it was rainign. darn....now ill have to buy it

Down South, Wynn Dixie and Publix have RO machines in front of all their stores and it is only .30 per gallon. BYOJ.

If you are looking for distilled water in a grocery store and dont see any...try the laundry/cleaning agents area. Its sometimes placed there because its recommended to put distilled water into irons so the salts don't build up inside. So it kinda falls into a "laundry" item.

Many grocery stores now do offer the RO water that you can bottle yourself. Bring your own container and its quite cheap.

Back