What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So...you think you know everything?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A dragonfly has a life span of 24 hours

no that would be mayfly. dragonflies can live years because they often migrate to warmer weather in the northern regions.

What I find more interesting than the 'facts' list itself, is our willingness (not a finger at anyone in particular, just meaning folks in general) to pass on hearsay as fact. We hear something we didn't know, that sounds plausible to us, and we pass it on as a 'fact' without checking.

Like the one I heard a few years back that the 'citronella' plant some lab-created species-cross between geraniums and lemon grass, and that they are sterile. I guess because most folks never saw one flower, they believe it. This is totally false. The flowers aren't spectacular but it does flower, and it's just a scented geranium cultivar (I have one). And it also does nothing to mosquitoes. That's another myth. I just enjoy it because of the pretty frilly leaves and the pleasant scent. I rely on my CPs to reduce the mosquito population ;)

Back