What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spyware removal programs

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
A co-worker and I were talking about computers and one thing led to another (comparing notes about OS, ISP, spyware, firewalls...) and she suggested going into Microsoft and download their spyware removal. So I did a Google and found the site. I dowloaded the program for their
free scan. It found like 172 things that my paid version fo Ad-Aware didn't find. When I went to do the quarantine / removal thing, I got directed to their ad to pay for a program to remove the spyware. I shoulda known it wasn't really free! And as of yesterday, my Zone Alarm began making this magnanimous gesture to do a free scan and remove spyware. Same thing happened. They were just trying to sell me stuff. I hate to ask what stuff their programs were finding that my paid Ad-Aware isn't. Would you know anything about that?

I think those programs are a bunch of crap. I have a few of them and spybot seems to be the only good one out of it.

Miccrosoft's website has a really good free one that has kept both of my computers clean.  It is absolutly free and awesome.  Windows AntiSpyware

Yea, Microsoft has a highly rated one which does everything for free. Since I'm not a huge fan of Microsoft, free software or not, I use Spybot and Ad-aware, both free and very helpful. Make sure that whichever one you wind up with, you update it frequently and use whatever "immunization" features it comes with. Good Luck!

~ Brett

In computer class we were required to do research on freeware, and this is what I came up with. Everything is excelent software and it's all free.

Ad-Aware SE

Windows Spyware Beta

Spybot

If you want any other links I have about 50 links for everything from Viruses to Media and Photo Editing.

Haha - I love it when people actually agree, seconds apart.
biggrin.gif

~ Brett

I downloaded the newest Ad-Aware program a while back from www.download.com...soon after a trojan horse virus was detected on my computer. I removed it, but was a little angry about it.

Additionally, Jim, if you download "hijack this" and send me the log file via email or PM, I can see if there's anything funny that shouldn't be there.

those free spyware thingys are just all dung, they tell you they are "scaning" wile they are downloading thos anoying pop ups your computer get when you first log in, carefull on what you download!

I understand why some of you may be skeptical of these free programs but they truly are the best free programs on the market and they do work... most quite well. First off, download.com (the site from which most of these programs are being downloaded) is a well known company owned by Cnet.com and promises that none of the hosted programs have Spyware or Adware. The site also has editors whose job it is to review the software and the programs recommended are all highly rated both by the professional editors/reviewers and those that download the programs. Ad-aware and Spybot have been around for years and if they included anything nefarious, I am 100% that the entire world would be well aware. Most people are also familiar with Microsoft and the last thing those in Redmond want or need is a controversy over malware in their software so I'd say you're safe with their software too. Hijack This requires some skill but is probably one of the more effective tools around if you can find somebody to interpret the results for you. I also suggest you use Firefox to prevent getting any more malware. Good luck!
smile.gif

~ Brett

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]those free spyware thingys are just all dung, they tell you they are "scaning" wile they are downloading thos anoying pop ups your computer get when you first log in, carefull on what you download!

In all of my experiences, free things seem to do as good of (if not a better) job as things you pay for. I like AVG better than Norton (in fact, I despise Norton.) I like Open Office better than any Microsoft word product (or power point, or any of that stuff.) You need to watch out for scams, and things that after scanning try to make you buy it, but we live in a world where at least one thing is still right-side up: Free still equals good.

Thank you all for your input! Currently, I use Ad-Aware 6. I will look into the various links provided, on the weekend. When I do the Ad-Aware scans, it no longer comes up with anything new. So I can't tell if it is being really efficient or that I am not bringing in anything to find or it is no longer capable finding anything different.

I have gone and used House Call a few times works ok for me and what else i do is use Registry First Aid 3.0 and cleaned a TON of invalid paths off my comp wow does it make a big diffrence.

heres House Calls link.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Thank you for the link to housecall! Got a ton of things to look at on Sunday, while watching football!

Back